• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA announces cuts at DFW in order to start flights at Love field

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK, I really need to question the wisdom of AA management in cutting Lima, Peru... what does Lima have to do with the WA or Love Field?

I don't know about this.... I mean, I have my opinions about the whole deal but this cutting service is a little fishy. Wonder what's up? Political power play?

LUV and LGB

Pretty funny that one of the airports AA is reducing service from is Long Beach . . . which of course is another airport that AA ignored for years then loudly and fiercly fought for in the courts (to try and kill JetBlue) . . . now after canceling the LGB-NYC flights it is now cancelling LGB-DFW flights.

The pattern will repeat at DAL maybe . . .

Last edited:
With respect to the Love-Austin and the Love-San Antonio flights, this is a page out of the AMR playbook that is being used currently in the northeast. They use Eagle to compete on the BOS-LGA-DCA shuttle flying. AMR isn't trying to match the service, they use Eagle to siphon off just enough passengers to lessen or deplete the competition's proffit margin on that route.

This scheme works since it's been talked about as a reason for the problems in the northeast by USAir and Delta management during their quarterly conference calls with analysts.

This may mean that AA will have to forfeit its slots at LGB, after fighting so hard in the courts to deny them to JetBlue. Wouldn't that be something?

Also, there aren't any Wright restrictions on 56-seat or less aircraft, so they could have put a zillion RJ's in there at any time, on any route. Why didn't they?

Slug said:
Does any Congress person have family in Lima? Trying to sway that vote, maybe?

Maybe they lost the drug-hauling contract? Oops! Sorry, I take it back...TC

I wish I could answer all these questions but I am as confused as "Y'ALL" on this board!!! What is going on?

Let me see here, SWA gets the right (no pun intended) to fly from DAL to Missouri. AA announces new service from DAL to Missouri. No problem so far.

Then AA cuts/reduces service from DFW to Tyler, Killeen, Shreveport/Toledo/Providence/Long Beach/etc. This nothing more than politics. They cut service to some Texas towns represented by influential politicians in an attempt to affect the WA fight. I don't know where the pols from RI and CA stand on the WA, but I'll bet that their votes are important.

Or, it could be that AA needed to reduce their schedule and they are using the WA fight as a smoke screen.

My only interest in the issue is as a citizen of Texas who wants to see the metroplex financially strong. It is my opinion that AA's historically predatory business practices are not conducive to the overall economic good. SWA has proven to be a good corporate neighbor and a "rising tide lifts all the boats" kind of competitor.

I hope that AA managment eventually finds a way to maintain long term profitability without having to drag down a local economy and a competitor in the process; because I have many friends who fly for AA and those men have mouths to feed as do we all.

Good Luck
enigma

AA's historically predatory business practices? Or SWA's historically predatory business practices? LUV, let go of the "little guy" image, it doesn't work anymore. LUV's market capitalization is 4X of AA's, or pretty much anyone elses.

As for the Lima, Peru thing... think about it. Airplanes aren't sitting around unused. If an MD-80 goes to Love field, that MD-80's normal routing, say to LAX, needs to be filled. Grab a 757 which would normally go to Peru, and send it to LAX instead. It's a ripple effect.

Latest resources

Back