• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A380 has major engine failure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah I am sure those turbine blades just blew off.....
Was it DL that had a few blades penetrate the cabin and kill some pax on the MD series a few years ago?

Edit:

Here's a more "transparent" view of the engines and the part of the wing.

Last edited:
NPR, the bedrock of aviation accident investigation.

I think it's more of a trend towards investigative journalism than an attempt to become the next AW&ST.

I guess that's what's gonna happen since no one wants to pay for newspapers anymore.

Ground check OK could not duplicate

The 787 will have it's share of problems once it enters service. BOTH planes were terrible ideas. Some things just need to be left ALONE.

I gotta' agree.

The 787's going to have a ton of problems... and who knows how that plastic fuselage will shatter (as-opposed to crush) when the engines quit on short-final due to fuel icing, ala British Airways 777 at Heathrow. At least a metal fuselage crushes, and yet the certification standards were reduced to allow for the 787's shatterability.

The A380's just too damn big, and they're not going to sell enough to break even. Singapore and Qantas grounded their fleets while they sort out this major engine problem.

Here's another question about the 787's crashworthiness... if on fire, is that giant plastic airframe going to produce such toxic smoke that a crash will be virtually unsurvivable? That B-2 crashed on that island during takeoff, and they couldn't get near it for a lengthy time due to the toxicity of the burning composites. That'll go over really well for an airliner accident.

Last edited:
A380 yesterday, B744 today!

Man, talk about bad karma for Quantas:

A Qantas airline jumbo jet has been forced to return to Singapore because of an engine problem.
The Boeing 747-400 turned back shortly after take-off from Changi Airport, airline officials said.
It comes a day after a Qantas Airbus A380 was forced to make an emergency landing at the same airport after one of its engines exploded.
Qantas grounded its six-strong fleet of A380s and an investigation is under way into what caused the failure.
The latest incident affected Sydney-bound flight QF6, which managed to land safely.
"Shortly after take-off the captain experienced an issue with one of its engines," a Qantas spokeswoman said.
No further details were immediately available.

Latest resources

Back