A380 Gear/Wheel Problems

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FR8mastr said:
I dont see how it matters, unless they had tugs pushing on the mains in a side motion. If you are towing the plane via the nosewheel, no matter what you do should that happen? any heavy drivers please pipe in.

Since when have you ever seen a tug pushing the main gear of any plane under any circumstance???:rolleyes:

I'm sure the tug wasn't pushing on the main gear. They probably hooked up to the nose gear at 90 degrees or whatever the maximum tow angle is, and started moving it around. Anytime you have wheels that are not all in a line together, some of them are not going to be able to roll straight when the plane is turning sharply (they're forward or aft of the pivot point). I'm sure 90 degree towing is outside the A380s allowable limit.

The damage to the surface wouldn't happen at most airports. Most runways and taxiways that handle large aircraft are poured concrete for this exact reason. I don't think the A380 will be allowed on an asphalt surface.

The deformation of the landing gear strut and bogie seems abnormal though. The gear is going to see loads close to this during normal turning. I wonder how it will stand up to several years of this?
That Airbus press release sounds like damage control to me, too. Why would you specifically refer to the pictures that were apparently leaked?

Any B-747 drivers here know what the maximum nose gear tow angle is?

Whale Rider said:
Since when have you ever seen a tug pushing the main gear of any plane under any circumstance???:rolleyes:

Never, that was my point, some of you guys need do lighten up.

FR8mastr said:
Never, that was my point, some of you guys need do lighten up.

Get your meaning straight and we will.

Latest resources

Back