A320 Vs. 737NG - Not Flame Bait

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Trueblue:

Can the "big red button" disconnect all aspects of the automation? I was under the impression that there were some things that could not be overiden, like the 30 degree bank limit. Is that not true?

I'm sure one of the experienced Airbus types could explain it better, but I believe bank on the Airbus is limited to around 60 degrees. The 30 degrees is the limit on normal roll law, meaning the aircraft has neutral stability up to 30 degrees. If you go beyond 30 and let go of the stick, the aircraft will return to 30 degrees bank. The same theory applies to pitch.

I haven't flown either, but if I were in the JBlue/SWA dilemma, I would go with whoever calls first. Both are great companies with great A/C.

Just a reminder - this is less of a "SWA vs. JBLUE" comparison and more of a A320 vs. 737NG comparison. Heck, I'd fly for either one if they called!!!!!!

Whatever you like

It is a 67 AOB roll protection, and 33 positive stability, with a 15 down and 30 up protection as well. If you need to go Blue Angel there are two computers to turn off, then those protections are removed. There is also an AOA protection that I if I ever get an EGPWS warning and pull full back stick, I won't have to worry about stalling as I try to get away from the cumulo-granite.

The big red button turns off the AP, the little red button on the thrust levers turn off the ATHR, then you got yourself an airplane. It is not that hard to handfly and approach, but it is nice after a redeye to know you got all that backup.

As for the comparrison, the 737 drivers always comment on how much room we have in the flight station to get up and move around in, not to mention all the different footrests we have. That might not seem like much, but if I am going to never change airplanes, I do put a premium on pilot ergonomics. The side stick is also cool.

The rest is in the eye of the beholder.

Oh yeah, the best part of the Airbus is that you don't have to pay for the airplanes you buy, they just give them away.

737 for me

Okay, I finally have a few minutes to chime in. Little League/Travelling baseball takes a lot of time.

I spent 10 months on the bus at UAL and have been on the line at SWA since mid march.

Both airplanes have their definite advantages and disadvantages; no duh. As far as ergonomics the bus wins hands down. It is significantly more comfortable in all cockpit aspects from sitting for four hours to trying to get the darn flightbag on the outside of the seat. The -700 (NG) is much better than the -500 and -300s however. I like the sidestick to fly with, but it is kinda unnerving when the other pilot is flying and you can't see the control inputs in pitch or roll that they are inputting. (probably more so for the Captain than the F/O).

I also like the ECAM system (basically, computerized system schematics) for monitoring the systems and their malfunctions. It is a good review duing those 4 hour cruises to sit there and flip through the schematics for the systems.

But, for every other aspect I like the 737 and the way we as pilots are kept in the front of the loop. This is probably more a mentality of SWA vs. UAL. This goes from startup to shutdown. Although we "did" performance data at UAL it was more just putting the variables in the MCDU (computer) and watching the computer posting the numbers on the speed tape. Engine start is more hands on in the 737. If there is a problem the crew is more involved in fixing the starting malfunction. These are just a couple of the things I've noticed in my short time. As far as flying, the 737 is more hands on. I know I'll get lambasted for this one, but its true. Yes, we did fly the airplane at UAL (again it may be a UAL mentality vs. JB and SWA), but it is definently more hands on at SWA. We got slam dunked and kicked the A/P off quite frequently, but not as frequently as the 737. I despised the auto-throttles. First your engine management was done with a speed wheel. The other thing I didn't like was the auto-throttles not moving. Picture this: you are coming down final with gusty winds. You've got V approach in the window, the computer is adjusting for reference ground and spooling the engines up and back to maintain computed speed. With the low slung engines the nose is pitching up and down and the only way to tell what the engines are doing is to watch the engine instruments (great crosscheck) or learn to listen to the spooling. I kicked off the Auto throttles quite a bit, but some Captains kinda looked funny at you when you did (again a mentality?).

I simply feel that my skill as a pilot is much better/proficient in the 737 vs. the A320. I like both and would gladly fly either, but for the "pilot" I would go with the 737.

Just my inexperienced opinion.

Slug

Latest resources

Back