• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A319 Take Off at Austin question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yesterday i saw an A319 take off at KAUS runway 17r from the G intersection (heres the chart http://www.airnav.com/airport/KAUS )

I was wondering if this was too risky or can be considered OK for the type of plane, what do you think?

Was it too risky? i saw dirt floating around when they
got airbone

You're not the guy who was on my airplane about a year ago and screamed out "ABORT!!!!" because he thought the takeoff roll was too long, are you? He was a low time pilot who knew a little too much.:eek:

You're not the guy who was on my airplane about a year ago and screamed out "ABORT!!!!" because he thought the takeoff roll was too long, are you? He was a low time pilot who knew a little too much.:eek:

Oh my! What a bonehead!

I saw this 319 a few months back at Key West (EYW)

Citizen Staff
Spirit Airlines is considering adding Key West to its routes and this week sent a 144-seat plane to test the runway with a series of touch-and-gos. The Miramar-based airline will meet with Monroe County airport officials next week to discuss whether Spirit’s A319 Airbus will become a frequent flier to the Southernmost City. “We haven’t heard anything officially from them that they’re coming, but we’re certainly being considered,” Monroe County Airports Director Peter Horton said of both the Key West and Marathon airports. “If they do come in with the frequency we hope for, this would be the biggest news for the airport since Delta began direct flights to Atlanta” in 2002. Spirit’s Airbus carries twice as many passengers as Delta’s, yet is only 4 feet longer, so either runway should accommodate them, Horton said. The plane’s wings help it maneuver on shorter runways. Company spokeswoman Alison Russell would not comment on the possibility of Spirit flying to Key West, saying only that the Airbus was testing what’s possible for shorter runway operations, those less than 5,000 feet. Key West’s runway is 4,800 feet, while Marathon’s is 5,000 feet. The airline’s visit to Key West was a good sign, Horton said. Spirit, which is looking for 10 new South Florida cities from which to operate, could begin its route as early as February if it decides on Key West. The low-cost airline, whose affiliate Spirit Vacations offers Key West package deals, flies mostly to destinations in the Bahamas, Caribbean and Latin America. In January, Spirit purchased 30 new A319 Airbus planes. “When coupled with high productivity in all parts of our operation, these new airplanes affirm Spirit’s position as the leading low-cost carrier to the Caribbean and Latin America, as well as provide the basis for a sound and rational growth plan into the next decade,” President and CEO Ben Baldanza said in a press release.

Last edited:
We operate out of JAC all the time 6800' of runway and about 6500' elevation. For those of you worried about what to say during the investigation do you go max blast all the time and ask for full length when using 32L in ORD?

bored on a layover. saw the thread. we (b6) fly the bus there now too (used to just be the jungle jet). either way, we run all the #'s on our laptops with a performance computer (w/b, told, etc)....just ran it for a 320 with IAD's not CFM's (sorry not a 319), winds calm, GW of ~159000#'s (that's the limit for the conditions), about 95 degrees OAT, and still gave a FLEX (reduced power) takeoff with about 400' stopping margin (i.e. RTO @ V1) from G intersection. FWIW....its a pretty damn capable plane.

bored on a layover. saw the thread. we (b6) fly the bus there now too (used to just be the jungle jet). either way, we run all the #'s on our laptops with a performance computer (w/b, told, etc)....just ran it for a 320 with IAD's not CFM's (sorry not a 319), winds calm, GW of ~159000#'s (that's the limit for the conditions), about 95 degrees OAT, and still gave a FLEX (reduced power) takeoff with about 400' stopping margin (i.e. RTO @ V1) from G intersection. FWIW....its a pretty damn capable plane.

You must be VERY bored on a layover to be running random W&B problems.

We operate out of JAC all the time 6800' of runway and about 6500' elevation. For those of you worried about what to say during the investigation do you go max blast all the time and ask for full length when using 32L in ORD?

Oh the airplane is capable. Not even saying it's dangerous. Why do we take intersection takeoffs? Either because it's normal ops as in the case on 32L T10 in ORD or to save time/fuel. My point is I wouldn't go chopping the runway in half just to save my company a few dollars. Sure it's safe if the numbers say so but I don't get paid more for reducing my margin. Do you or anyone else on this board? Esspecially to act as if I'm saving my airline one flight at a time.

Also, numbers spit out on ACARS are based on brand spankin new engines with a test pilot with a stop or go decision made at precisely V1. Perfect day, perfect airplane, and you 100% on your game......knowing what was about to happen. Without taking into consideration a ******************** load of other possible, negative variables.

Citizen Staff
Spirit Airlines is considering adding Key West to its routes and this week sent a 144-seat plane to test the runway with a series of touch-and-gos. The Miramar-based airline will meet with Monroe County airport officials next week to discuss whether Spirit’s A319 Airbus will become a frequent flier to the Southernmost City.

Didn't Eastern fly 727's into EYW? I know that Piedmont ( the real one) flew F-28's in there

Latest resources

Back