Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wankel7

It's a slippery slope...
Told me that you can heat anything up in the coffee maker in the hotel. You know...that is a really good idea:) And since I am FO again...excellent idea:)

Anyway, thats all.

Wankel

Been There, Done That

Well, almost. That is if you use your head.

1) The coffee maker will heat water to near boiling, but not quite so it won't, I say again, WON'T kill every bacterium or virus that is present. It will get most of them.d What ever you do, don't pour anything other than water into the coffee maker. You'll be sorry, I mean REAL sorry.

2) The coffee maker's hot water may be used for Top Ramen, hot dogs, some fine sausages which have complete hust/skin. It won't do at all well for boiling eggs, or making anything that requires a high heat such as macaroni & cheese.

3) The coffee maker's heating element is excellent for cooking small portions of simple meats. The non-fatty cuts (which makes them expensive and therefore nullifies this discussion) are better. Never try bacon.

The very best bet (and I learned this from our flight attendents) is to ask the hotel for a microwave oven and a refrigerator. Many, many hotels offer these two ammenities. Once you have a micro and a fridge, heck mate ... you're all set. It's Thanksgiving diner every night on $2.

I wish I had learned about the microwave/refer thing when I was starving. Unfortunately for me, I didn't learn about these "special" wonders until I was in the "6 Figure Group" and was educated by a GIV flight attendent.

Cheers, Bon Appatit ...

TransMach

Eh, my chicken noodle soup is heating as we speak....

And I had the same thing for lunch....

At least I didn't have the fish!

I know you can heat up soup in a coffee maker in a hotel room. I don't do that but I know of a guy that does. What I don't know is if you can do it successfully, over time, without getting a gut wrenching/vacating bacterium.
On that note, would any of you actually take a bath in a hotel room tub?

TransMach said:
Well, almost. That is if you use your head.

1) The coffee maker will heat water to near boiling, but not quite so it won't, I say again, WON'T kill every bacterium or virus that is present. It will get most of them.d What ever you do, don't pour anything other than water into the coffee maker. You'll be sorry, I mean REAL sorry.

2) The coffee maker's hot water may be used for Top Ramen, hot dogs, some fine sausages which have complete hust/skin. It won't do at all well for boiling eggs, or making anything that requires a high heat such as macaroni & cheese.

3) The coffee maker's heating element is excellent for cooking small portions of simple meats. The non-fatty cuts (which makes them expensive and therefore nullifies this discussion) are better. Never try bacon.

The very best bet (and I learned this from our flight attendents) is to ask the hotel for a microwave oven and a refrigerator. Many, many hotels offer these two ammenities. Once you have a micro and a fridge, heck mate ... you're all set. It's Thanksgiving diner every night on $2.

I wish I had learned about the microwave/refer thing when I was starving. Unfortunately for me, I didn't learn about these "special" wonders until I was in the "6 Figure Group" and was educated by a GIV flight attendent.

Cheers, Bon Appatit ...

TransMach

LOL, man that was a great write up!

10 forum bux for you:)

Also, if your rampers lose your crew bag, you can wash your socks and underwear in the coffee-maker. Nice hot water. I just squirt about half a bottle of shampoo in there, let it simmer for an hour or so, rinse and repeat. I'm sure they sterilize those things after every visit, don't they?....You can even simulate first class service by sticking some of the hand towels in there with some clean(er) water.

a good way to heat the soup is to put the water through the coffee maker and fill the sink or the ice bucket with hot water and place soup can in bucket...give it 10 minutes or so and you have a nice hot can 'o' soup.

Latest resources

Back