Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Avi8tor2000

Big Papa
Who else thinks NWA played a major role in this deal? They own a good portion of Midwest, it has been strongly rumored that they are looking at the 717 as a possible replacement for the DC-9, and there will suddenly be a great deal of them on the market. I mean, does anyone in their right mind honestly think that a airline operating 9 717s and 12 E170s stands any sort of a chance in this economic environment of fuel prices and low demand? The only real question is should Republic waste their time painting those 170s purple or should they just paint them in the new Delta livery?

This is a roundabout and legal (albeit dirty) way of killing Midwest. NWA called for the hit and RAH is the hired gun.

Last edited:
What would NWA do with nine 717's and very few more available on the used market?

Its actually 16, 9 is what Midwest keeps. After Midwest croaks they could get their hands on 25 of them. This would make a nice little starter fleet before trying to get their hands on some belonging to the struggling Airtran. Just a thought. Also, NWA accomplishes the main goal of eliminating a lot of competition between its two major North Central hubs.

Seems like a lot of chance when considering an outlay of hundreds of millions of dollars on a new fleet. I bet they hold out for the C-Series.

Midwest has never really been a competitor of NWA, per se. Midwest occupies a needed space in the market and keeps out dangerous LCCs like Airtran or SWA. NWA could have crushed Midwest, Sun Country, and Spirit many times over but doing so would leave their markets open to the bigger LCCs. NW likes to have small LCCs in their back yard that they can keep in check. I would expect NWA/DAL to continue to breathe life into the shell that used to be Midwest for an indefinite period of time.

I'd like to believe that but 9 717s and 12 170s isn't going to scare off anyone. That's not even an airline anymore. I think this is simply set up to die.

We just parked 3 717's today @ AirTran....ferried to MCO for storage with 5-6 more on the way by the end of the month....

I feel bad for Midwest....if this isn't the end I'll be shocked

it doesn't. Skywest will reduce their CRJ operation as previously planned, so as to operate 12 aircraft as Midwest Connect. Republic will operate 12 aircraft (for now), and Midwest Express will operate 9. Midwest will slightly more than 1/4 of their own flying. It is just plain sad.

Hopefully the Midwesties can get the 170's over to their certificate without too much loss. Even if, I still don't think the 170 is a real good replacement for either the 717 or Md-80. It has its shortcomings...

You are correct in your thinking. There is little doubt who is really pulling these strings.

NWA owns a minority stake and I don't buy into the conspiracy theory. NWA looked at the 717 YEARS ago for a DC9 replacement. It didn't make sense back then so why would it make sense now? 16, 25 or whatever small number isn't going to make a difference in the fleet.

When is everyone going to face it - Midwest killed themselves. They changed their unique business model and serves a small niche market. In this day and age, that isn't going to cut it. They were having issues before TPG and NWA came in so as to suggest TPG and NWA is killing Midwest is ridiculous. NWA could have killed them without capital investment.

Latest resources

Back