Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

daviator28621

I have a question about flight time.

I understand that I can only fly for 1000 hours per year.

I also understand that piedmont is short on pilots and you will probably fly 100 hrs per month. After 10 months you max out your year

That leaves 2 months without being able to fly.

Do you still get paid your garuntee and sit at home for these 2 months?

Am I missing something?

We're short, but flying 100 hours per month is rarer than you might think. The mid-90's are more likely after cancellations.

If you are going to run out of flight time for the year (or even the month) scheduling will start dropping legs here and there to keep you under the limits. Drops for 1000 problems usually begin in October. I have never heard of anyone being off for two months due to 1000 hour problems.

Don't forget, you still have to account for your vacation time too. If you are flying more than 10-50 hours these months, you are bidding wrong your selling your time back to the company (management stooge).

But hypothetically, you would still be paid for whatever line your seniority would hold if you ran out of time for the year.

The most I've ever flown in a month was a little over 115 hours as a CFI. I was blown right out, and vowed I'd never do it again.

Right now, I'll be at 112 hours for this month. What scheduling will do is just what Lowly said- my last trip, they'll start dropping legs here and there; say, have me operate out with a deadhead in the back, then swap with the deadhead back to the hub. Or make me sit in the hub while another FO flies a couple of my legs.

It SUCKS.

.... a deadhead is a must-ride crewmember. They bump a paying passenger, and are paid at 50% of the rate for the leg (and there's more, but that's a can of worms).

It amazes me that is even legal, DH to comply with flight time limitations. I think DH'ing around is way more fatiguing actually flying the leg.

It amazes me that is even legal, DH to comply with flight time limitations. I think DH'ing around is way more fatiguing actually flying the leg.

It truly is. I'm exhausted. My wife forgot what I look like, I'm too tired to work on a union project I started a few months ago, and I'll be dmaned if I'm getting calluses... heh.

But yeah, it certainly enhances the exhaustion. And the worst part is that when I'm resked/extended, I'm too dang tired at the end of the day to recognize contract and FAR violations.

Yeah. Just what I need blasting out of SBY at 001OVC 1/4SM around a quarter to six in the AM. You're too tired to know you're too tired.

Oh, man-

You are my hero. Seriously. If I was 10 years younger, I'd be in like Flint and you'd have a lot of Scotch and cigars for helping me get a job there.

I'll stop whining now... at least I don't require suppressive fire on the approach.

Oh, man-

You are my hero. Seriously. If I was 10 years younger, I'd be in like Flint and you'd have a lot of Scotch and cigars for helping me get a job there.

I'll stop whining now... at least I don't require suppressive fire on the approach.

You can still send that scotch and cigars out to me if ya want.

Latest resources

Back