• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Public Service/Safety Plea

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When vis is reported in terms of RVR in heavy rain and gusty winds it may be time to reevaluate the situation.

Nice to have a decent thread on occasion. Its rarely more than 10-15 minute delay to break off and hold or re-sequence. No one awards bonus points for landing in a +TRSA. Ive been the first one before to break it off and next thing you know everyone does after that. Get there itis is a game i dont want to play anymore.

Our FOM states specifically that we should not take off or land when a microburst alert is in progress on any part of the airport.

As does ours, and I would suspect most FOMs say the same. Yet my carrier was one of those involved. It was a sobering look at get-there-itis and Macho attitudes rolled up in one.

As JimCav alluded to and I forgot to mention, during the 2nd and 3rd landings RVRs were being reported between 1200-3000 with "extreme" precip. I'm just glad everything worked out. Hopefully a few crews and those reading this will take a few seconds to think and slow down the operation next time around...

I was in Denver Jeffco holding for release and witnessed a microburst make ground contact about 1/2 a mile away. It picked up all the dirt and dust and was headed our way. I turned towards it and shut down the engines. We got rocked sitting on the taxiway. It tore the roof off three houses near the airport and flipped over a few small airplanes

Scary stuff

I can't even imagine continuing to land under those conditions...Especially if any of those planes were DL knowing the company history of DL 191. Absolutely rediculous.

Now Peaknuckle-

If you really work at DAL, you SHOULD know: A windcheck will make all windshear go away!

-DUH!

There is NO EXCUSE for these guys landing with a tower issued "microburst alert."
Not to be confused with low level windshear advisories, microburst alerts are very accurate and reliable information and a violation of company policy and therefore F.A.R. for landing.

As a guy sitting on a taxiway and listening to all of this, I would have considered asking tower, "comfirm you have a runway specific microburst alert issued for the landing runway" as a HINT to these ignorant company idiots on approach.

If they had landed, I would have no qualms "narcing" these losers to the chief pilot and/or professional standards committees.

This type of dangerous behavior has already claimed too many lives.

Just shows ya.....

We have cowboy (read unprofessional) pilots in every section (i.e. 135, cargo, regional, LLCs, legacy, fracs) of our industry.

It's disappointing to hear we have knuckleheads out there landing during conditions like these.

Live to fight another day and do a go-around, geez!!

Nice thread!!! Thanks for sending out the wake-up call. Trips like that is why I hate traveling in the back of an airliner and relying on another's judgement. Or in this case the lack of said judgement.

Food for thought: While I agree that no one should have landed in these conditions....why put it all on the pilots? Why the hell is ATC allowing arrivals to continue? Shut the airport down, spin guys over pie or wherever...and then get everyone in 15 minutes later. My theories as to why are closely aligned to why some controllers try to sucker you into accepting a visual 20 friggen miles out on a hazy day....so they can get rid of you and get back to thier paper. Don't believe this happens....go visit a center.

Latest resources

Back