A&P wanted

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

n2425y

I am looking for a licensed A&P to help me restore a 1963 Cessna 172 (N2425Y). Work on it in my place in Oxford, Ohio, or yours. I can move it on my trailer to northern KY, eastern IN, or OH. Mostly sheet metal, priming, painting, rigging/ assembly, weight/balance; some avionics. Complete airplane. $25/hr.

I have a buddy A&P/IA that does restoration work, sheet metal, engines, avionics at a small airport in Pennsyltucky. Here is what he wrote:

LMAO, geeeeee, another guy who tells a guy in business what he will get paid
I would not restore an airplane for a customer for under 85 an hour

Good luck at finding an A&P with the experience you want for $25 an hr.
Not trying to be a smart arse, just seems you cant find someone to detail your car for that rate!
The 63' is a good bird, learned to fly in one years ago.

I can understand. I want a moon lighter with no overhead. 10 hours on a Saturday is $1000/month spending money (cash).

Ah, that proverbial carrot.

How much is your life worth? How much is the rest of the mechanic's life, when he undertakes liability for that aircraft by working on it? Works half-rate for a little extra spending money...a little like finding the flight instructor who will work for food because you think he needs the hours.

You'll probably find someone to work for that rate, just like anybody can dredge up a pilot from the drain to fly for peanuts...but you often get what you pay for.

Fewer mechanics will prostitute themselves for work than pilots, but there's always someone. Dangle, dangle, dangle, You'll find someone out there.

Let me get this straight. You employ an A&P with an IA. His work is unsupervised. You pay him $50,000/year ($25.00/hr.). You trust him to work for you, but not to work for himself on the weekends.

Another scenario. If you're self-employed, you probably started out working for someone else. Then you did a little work on the side and you made some friends and customers. After a while, maybe a long while, you had more work. Then you had to make the big decision: quit and go it alone or stay put. You quit. And now you are self-employed.

If I employ a mechanic, he is most definitely NOT unsupervised.

A mechanic with an inspection authorization is worth a whole lot more than twenty five bucks an hour.

avbug said:
If I employ a mechanic, he is most definitely NOT unsupervised.

A mechanic with an inspection authorization is worth a whole lot more than twenty five bucks an hour.

You're on crack! Maybe, an IA that has been to Falcon, Citation, or Lear school, but that is about right for a small aircraft general aviation mech. There are plenty of places out there that charge $50-$60 an hour for maintenance. You can't tell me that the mechs get more than half that. There is too much in overhead (insurance, benefits, heat, matching FICA). If this guy is going to pay $25 per hour cash(equal to about $33 hours payroll), then that is not a bad deal.

What is the deal with mechanics that are too scared to sign things off? They take that attitude that I will work cheaper and not sign anything off or pay me a lot and I might sign it off. Just like the UAL pilots that are mad that they are making $180K instead of $220K like a few years ago. Ridiculous, just some of the many problems in this industry. Everybody is out for themselves.

avbug said:
Ah, that proverbial carrot.

How much is your life worth? How much is the rest of the mechanic's life, when he undertakes liability for that aircraft by working on it? Works half-rate for a little extra spending money...a little like finding the flight instructor who will work for food because you think he needs the hours.

You'll probably find someone to work for that rate, just like anybody can dredge up a pilot from the drain to fly for peanuts...but you often get what you pay for.

Fewer mechanics will prostitute themselves for work than pilots, but there's always someone. Dangle, dangle, dangle, You'll find someone out there.
What is your/the mechanics life worth? What a crock! If the A&P is worth his salt there is nothing wrong with moonlighting on a project airplane, get real!!!

If an A&P/owner of the aircraft is worried about the quality of the work, the guy shouldn't be a mechanic in the first place......dork!

skydivinguy said:
What is your/the mechanics life worth? What a crock! If the A&P is worth his salt there is nothing wrong with moonlighting on a project airplane, get real!!!

If an A&P/owner of the aircraft is worried about the quality of the work, the guy shouldn't be a mechanic in the first place......dork!

I think he's not saying that the mechanic's work is shoddy. He's saying that when the airplane crashes that the aforementioned moonlighting mechanic gets sued for shoddy work whether or not the work was shoddy... and you will never win against a crying widow.

Now please understand that I am in no way saying the pilot of the airplane is substandard, I wouldn't know that. In this business sh!t does happen.

What he's saying is that any mechanic that moonlights should have his own insurance to cover his activities.. and if he does you're going to have to pay him more than 25$ an hour.

I would argue that employers scare emplyees/kids about insurance. Kids who can drive rivets in their sleep better than their employer, kids who can calculate the bend radius is their head while their employer is fumbling for a chart because he doesn't know how to use a calculator. Kids, get your assets out of your name, spend $500 forming an entity like a corp or an LLC to operate under, and if you get sued the plaintiff gets zero. This country was built on kids striking out on their own, kids taking a risk.

Latest resources

Back