A & P Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Unchilled

Does it do any good for someone dead set on a career as a pilot to get certified as an A & P Mechanic? It seems like it would be benificial in that you'll be more well-rounded as a pilot, but would it help you with your career? Will future employers look favorbaly upon this, or will they even care?

Thanks!

UC,

It makes a difference for some jobs. Any qualifications you have can be benificial in a competitive way, but it really depends on the position you seek. If you're seeking a position as an ag pilot, it's a tremendous help. If you're flying bush or back country work, it's terriffic. Employers will love you.

If you're seeking a flight engineer position, having a mechanic certificate in conjunction with your flight engineer ticket is a very big plus.

I've been held back a few times when I was more use in the shop than on the flight line at companies before; others flew first while I was changing tires, performing inspections, doing work in the shop. Others around me were in the same boat. I've flown for other employers where I was the first to go out and fly, because the employer knew that if anything went wrong, I could fix it and get home...and frequently did. I've been assigned to remote sattelite operations for employers in part for that very reason.

One thing that a mechanical background will do for you is help you learn and understand systems with ease, and with much more rapidity than folks who don't have that training and experience.

It goes without saying that experience as a mechanic provides a backup for the day your medical fails, you get injured, or are furloughed. Having a backup is more than a good idea. It's essential. Ask a lot of the folks who are posting here right now.

I got my first jet job as Director of Maintenance/Copilot on a corporate airplane. Without a good maintenance background, I couldn't have been awarded that job.

If you're trying to decide what to do in school, and you have the option of getting maintenance training while you work on your flying, go for it. It's a valueable skill.

Good luck!!

Where is a good place to get this type of training? Or, more generally, what places (types of places)offer this type and/or certify this type of training?

Ali

Maui -- There's lots of places you can get your A & P. I'm certainly in no position to make definite recommendations, but Westwood http://www.westwood.com and Spartan http://www.spartan.edu spring to mind. Personally, I'm seriously considering Cochise Community College in Arizona as a place to get all my pilot ratings. Someone recommended me gto get my A&P there as well, as they have a very good program there. http://www.cochise.org/aviation

Bug -- Thanks for the insight. It's definitely something I've been very interested in pursuing. The affordability down there at Cochise is awesome and it seems like a good opportunity for me to pursue getting A&P certified.

Also, what do you mean by "bush or back country work" I've heard the terms used before but I'm not exactly clear on what they mean. Is it like BLM/Forest Service flying? That kind of flying certainly sounds enjoyable. Is it usually a low-time gig?

Thanks.

Unchilled,

The definition of Bush flying which is commonly accecpted where I am on the North Slope of Alaska is flying in an area with no roads. Many operators here in Alaska operate between villages which have no roads to the outside. We refer to those as Bush Villages. The "city" I live in has something like 27 miles of interconnecting roads. But if you want to go to any other village, you must do it on an airplane or snow machine.

I'm sure Avbug can provide an observation of Back Country flying in the lower 48.

UC,

I was just about to reply, but something has come up. If I don't get back to you, it's not intentional; please don't let me ignore you. Send me a PM.

Otter -- Thanks for the explanation; any job that let's you fly an otter has to be fun.

Bug -- No big deal, thanks for your help so far.

Anyone else have any input on the subject of pilots having their A&P certification?

Thanks.
Unchilled

Getting your A&P is a much longer process then getting your
commercial pilots liscense. be prepared for that.
It definetly looked in a very positive manner, check on the plus side. Besides giving you a better knowledge of whats going on with your plane.
I got mine through expierence in the Air Force as a mechanic EC/KC-135's, still had to do the practical test. Though i don't use it much anymore. Like flying to much.
I'm not to sure hold long it takes through a school hopefully someone else can answer that. Good Luck.

P.S. it also greatly improves your chances fo getting on with companies that still need FE's
Though be careful of the companies that have the so called profesional FE's NO moving up to the FO position, unless being an FE is your where you prefer to stay as some do.

Last edited:
Stingray -- Thanks for your input. I'm figuring 12-15 months for the A&P certification. The idea is, I'll try to get all my ratings beforehand, and instruct to build time while I'm working on my A&P; although that may be stretching things a little too much.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Unchilled

Latest resources

Back