• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A New Southwest/AirTran merger theory

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As the guy who would be one of the most junior at the new company, regardless of how it is integrated, I will let you senior folks with a vested interest duke it out on seniority (on a web board concerning a merger that hasn't even been hinted at by either party). I would just request that I not get furloughed again and get moved up to Southwest 2nd year pay immediately.

Because it's all about you.....no wonder this industry is so screwed up! Explain to everyone on this board with some intelligence why you are entitled to putting all AirTran pilots behind 9/08 nehires. How absurd!

If SWA buys out AAI then you have no choice. Hit the street if you don't like it.

Don't get riled up over something that will probably never happen. If it does, all the chest thumping, Hee-Haw watching, Kool-Aid drinking SWAPholes can try and give the arbitrator a pool table or plasma TV, but it's not going to change his decision for a fair and equitable merger with our profitable airline.

Buyout isn't a merger. Have fun on the bottom of the list.

If SWA buys out AAI then you have no choice. Hit the street if you don't like it.
Boy you are Cocky and Arrogant! First thing a MERGER hasn't been announced. Second, I'm not going anywhere. I was stating the truth about this industry. Guys will spout off about unity and brotherhood until a merger is announced and then the true colors of some pilots truely come out. If AirTran and Southwest link up through a merger, then there must be something that the powers to be see that will be good for both companies. At that point the two pilot groups can sit down and workout together the integration issues. Will everyone be happy, well we are dealing with human beings and some of those human beings never evolved above puberty. There is value in both companies and both have their strengths. With two thriving profitable companies, no one will be just stapled to the bottom of the seniority list. So take those BREAST IMPLANTS out of that thumping chest and take a deep breath.

Buyout isn't a merger. Have fun on the bottom of the list.

As long as one airline buys more than 50% of the assets of another airline, the law requires a seniority merge. If Southwest were to buy 49% of another airline, they could fire everyone. I don't think the government would approve such an acquisition.

In your world, does stapling of pilots to the bottom of the list only apply to the pilots of AirTran, who I'm sure are beneath your contempt? (We all know you had to be the best of the best to be hired at Southwest). Would you expect the pilots of say, Alaska to be stapled also? They have to be almost as good as you are.

And remind me why merging two profitable companies will fix what ain't broke??
Well right here in our backyard Delta and Northwest airlines just merged. They were both profitable before the big fuel spike of last summer. If there were to be a union between AirTran and Southwest and that's a big IF, it would probable be a MERGER and not a buyout similar to Delta/Northwest. AirTran is a healthy company that Southwest management knows can compete with Southwest on the east coast. Southwest management knows that AirTran will have to branch out into the Midwest. This midwest expansion would allow AirTran to extend to the west coast. Just like Northwest who blocked the AirTran/Midwest merger to keep AirTran from having a midwest hub between MSP and DTW, Southwest may find it better to merge with them rather than compete against them in the future. All speculation though. For all we know AirTran and Alaska could be merging and Southwest and Jetblue could be merging. The point is we all don't know and there is no need to get all wound up over seniority and integration of a list. It is just childish.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot dude my keyboard is now full of beer :laugh: Screw the spelling bee how about we raise our own chickens and we have a good old fashion cockfight!

No problemo.

I would have just put that we all could race for it, but I did not wanna be the most junior in the company. Plus all our Air Force guys do a marathon every weekend.

Latest resources

Back