• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A new debate... Pilot pay/costs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, did anyone notice that the article was mistitled? The entire article was about unions sucking airlines dry not Southwest's success. Pretty much dropped the entire subject of Southwest about 2 paragraphs into it.

Yea we union types don't work much at all, this month I am blocked for 92 hours and that includes a 9 days off for vacation. 5 days plus the weekend before and after. During my work days this month I have multiple 5 or 6 day trips that I dont even get home at all. Yea, thats it, all the glamour! 90+ hours of flying upwards of 300 hours away from home and get paid about the same or less than a fast food manager...... Yes the pilots are breaking the industry how could I have not seen it sooner. Maybe we should all give some of our pay back to the poor unfortunate CEO, after all he is only making 15 to 20 mil this year, and he has all those VP's with the 6 figure saleries to cover.

Lisa Dicarlo's article isn't news, it's ATA propaganda. There's lots of management shills working out there. Some even on this board.

Let's see.

I'm an international pilot, on the hook 19 days a month, and based in a very high cost area.

I have to be ready to fly 24 hours a day during those 19 days since the DOT/FAA doesn't think that international pilots need any defined rest cycles, unlike domestic pilots. I can be called out at 5am in the morning for an all day Caribbean turn or 9pm at night for an 8hr Europe all-nighter. Yea, sure the FAA and ATA are interested in safety.

Since I can't afford to live in that high cost area, I commute giving up half a day each time I travel to work/home = effectively 2-3 days of my days off.

That totals up to 456 hours per month + commute time while a regular 40-hour-a-week guy is on the hook 160 hours a month and sleeps in his own bed at night, see his wife and kids everynight, make most of the ball games, etc.

Yea, this is a great job.

Last edited:
If it sucks so bad, go do something else.

Hey RJ, It doesnt suck that bad, but to listen to people tell lies about how much you make or how much you work and not say anything you would have to be some kind of spineless idiot!!! If you have the only perfect job in the world, my hats off to you. But if you dont, and then dont have the cahones to try and do something about it, well I think you can figure it out. I just get really sick and tired of people whoreing out the industry for their own temp. personal gain at the expense of others. First it was the whole buy your job crap now it's "I'll work for nothing" just so I can be a jet pilot. Pick your poison but if we don't stay together on this we will all be sorry! At least those of us that dont have rich parents that will just pay for another career

FR8mastr: Get off your high horse for just a minute. I'll be more specific:
originally posted by Draginass
I'm an international pilot, on the hook 19 days a month, and based in a very high cost area.

I have to be ready to fly 24 hours a day during those 19 days since the DOT/FAA doesn't think that international pilots need any defined rest cycles, unlike domestic pilots. I can be called out at 5am in the morning for an all day Caribbean turn or 9pm at night for an 8hr Europe all-nighter. Yea, sure the FAA and ATA are interested in safety.
Here are some options: 1) fly domestically; 2) change domicile. Doesn't your airline give you the option to bid to other schedules/domiciles/aircraft? Pick a combo that isn't so crappy for you.
Since I can't afford to live in that high cost area, I commute giving up half a day each time I travel to work/home = effectively 2-3 days of my days off.
I thought you guys at the majors made such a good living. Am I wrong? Otherwise, why should any lowly regional pilot aspire to the majors? I'm guessing the 'high-cost area' to be NYC. Seems to me there are plenty of low-wage earners living in NYC - how do they do it, I wonder?
That totals up to 456 hours per month + commute time while a regular 40-hour-a-week guy is on the hook 160 hours a month and sleeps in his own bed at night, see his wife and kids everynight, make most of the ball games, etc.
I seem to remember several of your mainline colleagues railing about how great the quality of life is, once you finally get to the majors. Well, which is it?
Yea, this is a great job.
It's not perfect, but yeah, it's a great job. So here's your option: 1) if it sucks so bad, go do something else.

Love My job!

Since I'm not going to win the State Lottery anytime soon, get to quit my day job and move to the islands - I'll settle with being happy flying boxes (day or night) and spending LOTS of freetime at home with my family!:) - thanks to my union!

Life is a series of choices - If you don't like your current job - do everything within your power to fix it and improve the working conditions - if not - get a different job - no one forces you to fly, fix, wash or load airplanes.....

Speedy

Last edited:
Newsflash!
The function of managment:
The most work for the least amount of money.

The function of labor:
The most money for least amount of work.

PBR...:)

The point is that the news media, reporters, airline managements, the ATA, and politician (whose name rhymes with "Disdain"), take great care to propogate misinformation that all major airline pilots earn huge incomes and work 9 days a month.

Latest resources

Back