a little inside info on FedEx hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose17

I flew with a very senior captain yesterday that recently went into an ACP (Assistant Chief Pilot) to promote a pilot candidate. The captain passed on some usefull information:

The ACPs meet once per month and each is allowed to recommend 5 pilot nominees. This is an important note since most of the packages end up on the 727 S/O, 727 F/O, and DC-10 S/O ACP's desk. Actually, the 727 S/O ACP gets the most, yet he is still only allowed 5 recommendations for hiring. The widebody captain ACP's only occasionally get a pilot package and thus when a pilot applicant gets his package to a widebody captain ACP, he leapfrogs all the other candidates. The ACP that was passing along this info simply said; "Rank has it's priviledges."

The very senior captain mentioned above, got the pilot candidate hired in only a couple months. Whereas a 727 S/O pulling for his buddy might take many, many months.

Moral of the story; if you can somehow get your packet on the desk of a more senior ACP, you time from recommendation to hired will be dramatically shorter. Also, if you have multiple guys recommending you, get the most senior guy to run your package in.

Hope this helps everyone.

Goose17

How dare you post relevant info that might be of interest to pilots trying to get on with a premier carrier! Didn't you get the message? This board is about "RJ versus mainline", "LCC's- scourge or savior?" and of course, "PFT- prostitution or mere pedantry?" strings.

Good info. There will be 1 class starting next week, and 3 in Jan, with projections of hiring over 300+/year for several years. Looks like about 16 new hires/class.

Goose17 said:
... The widebody captain ACP's only occasionally get a pilot package and thus when a pilot applicant gets his package to a widebody captain ACP, he leapfrogs all the other candidates. The ACP that was passing along this info simply said; "Rank has it's priviledges."

As a widebody FO this confuses me. My ACP also represents the Captains. We do not have seperate wide body Captain ACP's.....at least not in my airframe. So how does being a Captain make a difference in this circumstance?

On a side note....are they taking walk-in's again? I heard they were on hold till 06.

dunno

I would think the fact your ACP represents both FOs and Captains, the ACP himself might sort his rec's with seniority in mind. Your ACP probably doesn't get overloaded by recs anyway since a vast majority are on the 727 SO ACP desk.

Thanks for the useful information. What are the schedules like for the junior guys over at Fed Ex?

Does anyone know when/if FedEx is planning to have a hiring board in December?

I know the 727 SO ACP gets the brunt of the walkthroughs and is the slowest route to get an interview. Is the 727 ACP the same for the SO's and FO's? Do I stand a better chance at a quicker interview by having my walk through done with a 727 FO?

In the Central (Memphis) region there is an ACP for each aircraft type, plus another ACP for the S/Os. The Boeing and DC-10 S/Os share an ACP, and the front enders of each aircraft type share an ACP, for a total of 5 ACPs. Sometimes there is a vacancy or one ACP covers the other's pilots while one goes through training, but that is the basic setup. I don't think which ACP you go through impacts the time frame all that much, but I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility that there could be some differences.

After the meet and greet, (according to a Jul 05 email from my ACP) there is a bi-monthly board to review the apps and forward a list of names "up the chain" where the final selection is made. "There is no time frame associated with final selection, and this can take up to several months".

Hang in there and keep updating!

FJ

PS: Another email from the 72 S/Os ACP said that he wasn't doing meet and greets for Sep and Oct, I don't know if any of the other ACPs also stopped doing them, but I would think they all did since the reason was too many recs for the time being. They should be started back up by now.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great information! That sheds some light on the process. Can anyone tell me definitely when meet-n-greets will start up again? Is it just dependent on the particular ACP or will FedEx release another mass e-mail? Thanks in advance!

Latest resources

Back