A Hero Disgraced

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El-Rushbo

Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham pleaded guilty Monday to conspiracy and tax charges involving the sale of his home two years ago to a defense contractor at an inflated price.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/28/congressman.shouse.ap/index.html

Admitting to a judge that he took bribes, Cunningham entered pleas in U.S. District Court to charges of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and wire fraud and tax evasion for underreporting his income in 2004.

El-Rushbo said:
Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham pleaded guilty Monday to conspiracy and tax charges involving the sale of his home two years ago to a defense contractor at an inflated price.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/28/congressman.shouse.ap/index.html

Admitting to a judge that he took bribes, Cunningham entered pleas in U.S. District Court to charges of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and wire fraud and tax evasion for underreporting his income in 2004.

Anther case of the old adage, "Power corrupts."

...You only get one repuatation...so you have to protect it. Absolutely a darn shame. I've put some of Duke's quotes on my boards during briefs as motivation. Still a consumate fighter pilot, but now somewhat tarnished...

Hello,
I was so shocked and saddened to read the news about Randy Cunningham. He was one of my heroes growing up, and I met him on a couple of occasions when I was stationed in San Diego. I guess that power can and does corrupt even the most honorable of souls.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

He's kind of in that nowhere place that Pete Rose lives. He may have been a great pilot, but he is now an ordinary criminal. Not much to be proud of there.

When I was going through Kingsville as a student we were told he was going to be flying in there on his way to some sort of pig hunting trip in south texas, and that he was going to stop in the ready room to talk to us.

Most guys hung out for hours waiting for the plane to land, when it did all the big shots jumped right into the waiting vehicles and hurried off base. Bummer.

Cunningham just picked the wrong state. Ted Stevens took a $.87 million bribe from a contractor for steering a $450 million military housing contract his way.

Nobody in Alaska even blinked.

I used to think highly of him as well. But that was a long time ago. Apparently he was a good pilot, but a terrible Naval officer. There is some information floating around that the Navy wanted to boot him several times, but his kills saved him. I've read that he once broke into his CO's office to get a look at or possibly change a bad fitrep he thought he was going to get. Also, there is some talk that he wasn't shot down by a SAM during his last dogfight, but instead ran out of fuel after chasing that Mig all over Vietnam in afterburner. Not sure if that is true, but I heard there was some talk going on in the F-4 community about that.

I've got a great print "Gathering of Eagles" from 1985 hanging in my son's room. Guys like Boyinton, Yeager and yes Cunningham are represented with a drawing of these "aces", their squadron patches and their signatures.
These men were my Dad's stick buddies and my heroes. What a waste. How do you explain to your child how sick this world can be? Thank goodness my Dad is still worthy of hero status and Spencer's "Grandpa" is someone he can still count on for character.

Happy landings

Latest resources

Back