A good thing to do ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Shane

I noticed that there are alot of AF Guard Nav openings. Is this a pretty rewarding experience? I am assuming so. The reason I ask is because I contacted a Guard recruiter and he said that there would be no way that I would be granted a waiver for a UPT slot at 31 but there still was a possibility for NAV.

I served already in the Army Guard ( a while ago) as a UH-60 crew chief, had some fun, (when we did actually fly) but ever since I graduated from college, I really want a new challenge in military aviation.

Some of the units do some cool stuff that I would be willing to go away to school for a year for. I already have a good supportive civilian career so that is why I am looking at the Guard.

Any help would be great.

As long as you realize your nav experience will be rewarding and exciting, but not lead directly to the airlines, you should have a blast.

I don't know your past rank, etc. but I'm sure the Total force could use some good guys and the money you earn might be a nice compliment to your "day" job. You've been a "non pilot" crew member before....were you happy? If you can stand not being the PIC and just want to serve...well...good luck and I hope you have a blast.

Albie

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume its a C-130 unit you are talking about. From what my guard nav brethren say, its a very challenging and rewarding airframe for navs. The inability to transfer the time to a piloting job is the only bad thing. You should be able to stay active as a nav, ewo, or battle manager (some of the C-130J model units are planning on keeping navs in the air). Good luck.

mistake

Ok, I do have to say one thing.....there are age waivers out there to be had.. (my sro in UPT was a major and in his 30's...of course he was a prior nav...but....if you can get a waiver for nav school, you can get one for UPT)....I would suggest not talking to the recruiter until you need them to help you put together your package....go straight to the chief pilot.......and never say never...........I already was selected by my unit for a slot before I even talked to a recruiter for the most part.....

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone,

I will definitely look into all of my options, like today! I just feel that I have way too much to offer right now to be sitting around with this.

I will certainly pursue the UPT slot first, (even Active no prob). Nav duties sound like a real challenge also. I was checking out some C-130 units on baseops.net that appear to have some very interesting missions. If I can obtain a Nav slot somewhere in a Guard unit, then I will have zero problems at all with not being up there in the front seat.

Any further input regarding some Guard units that would consider this type of thing would be most appreciated.

Thanks again,
Shane

Hey, it beats digging ditches. You'll make good money, accumulate points toward a retirement, enjoy the company of some great people, and see some fun places.
Nav time doesn't count toward getting any ratings, true, but the experience did look really good at my ASA interview. Also, your unit will be full of major airline pilots. If you're a good egg those guys should be more than happy to recommend you should you choose the regional or corporate path to the majors.
By all means, don't give up on the UPT slot. If it's a no-go I wouldn't pass up Nav Training. The AF has been threatening to get rid of us but I'm beginning to wonder if we'll be like a certain social disease that, unlike love, lasts forever.

Latest resources

Back