• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A "good" Aviation GPS ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back in 99 I bought a used GARMIN Model 89. It worked well and seemed to always collect satellites, even without the antenna cord. After about a year, I was flying in some really heavy rain and there was St. Elmos fire arcing on the window and arcing over to the GPS antenna. (I set the unit up on the dash, if they are fixed on a yoke mount the FAA views this as a hard installation and must be in the AFM).

Anyway it burned the receiver out and I sent it in to Garmin and they sent me a new Model 90 for free. Same thing happened about a year latter and they replaced it again. Great customer service.

The Garmin 89-90 have all the NDB, VOR, APT and the ability to make a phantom waypoint. If you use it IFR they lack IFR approach data. But, you should not shoot GPS approaches with a hand held anyway. (But they work great).

Mark

@PhilsoDid the MapCreate software come with the International database or just the Americas?

From reading the reviews, you can use MapCreate to put together any kind of map you want, and load it into the GPS. Any insight?

Thanks.

You could try the Garmin Etrex series. Not aviation specific, but you can set it for knots/nautical miles, etc. Plus, you can set waypoints, etc.

If you're looking for something a bit more aviation specific, with NAVAIDs and intersections programed in, you'll be looking at a bit more dinero.

mattpilot said:
@PhilsoDid the MapCreate software come with the International database or just the Americas?
Just the Americas I believe.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back