• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mattpilot

Finally! Graphical TFRs!!
... you should read that as the "cheapest" GPS :D hehe

I'm looking for a good, cheap, and portable aviation GPS. The cheapest one i found was at sportys for some $500. I remember some 3 years ago there were some for $300-$400, no?

Btw, it doesn't have to be certified or anything - just some VFR navigation stuff.

Anybody know of a place that sells them cheaply? (besides ebay please ;))

thanks for pointing that one out.... Seems to be one excellent GPS judging from the features ... From just reading the review, this one seems better than the Garmin GPS Pilot III (any comments about that one compared to the airmap 500 ?).

ANyhow, this one is also $500 - anybody know of a cheaper one?

Btw, how does that work with Map updates? Are updates free? If no, do they cost a lot? How often do they come out? What other costs are there? And more importantly, how long (in hours) is the battery life on this particular model (airmap 500) ?

Thanks again :)

I just broke out my Garmin III the other day and was comparing it to my panel mounted GX155. It was just as easy to use. Except that a knob is more convenient on the panel mounted type. But you can't have everything. The GIII worked great. It has a moving map page that works well. It also has a 4 boxes you can put info in. I like Bearing/Track/Time to Dest/Dist. But you can choose from a list of 30. There is a HSI page with 4 boxes and a Heading page that shows your heading and 8 boxes to put stuff in. I did not even need to look at the manual to get back in the flow of things. And it has been about 3 years since I used it... When I was flying GA aircraft most has a cigarette adaptors so you don't need to worry about the batteries.
I do wish the screen was in color and a bit bigger, not sure how the other one compares on that aspect. But the GIII is $100 less than the other one...

JB2k

good suggestion - but i'm not to fond of PDA's... I used to have one. I hated that POS.

Right now i'm inclined to go with the more expensive Airmap 500 instead of the Garmin GPS III Pilot that i originally planned for (seems to be the cheapest one). The software that comes with the Airmap seems to let you create any terrain for the handheld device that you want. The Airmap 500 seems to have a lot of extras too. Though i'm hoping for someone to give more input on this device ?

Anybody got some reviews about this product? Couldn't find any online :(

Btw, i got most of my questions asked earlier about the Airmap 500 answered. Just looking for reviews now - basically about reliability, usability, ease-of-use, etc ...

The Magellan 315 GPS for $129 and one of the free aviation databases for it that can be found on the net.

:)

Minh

Jeff, do you have the airmap 500?

If yes, how easy to use is it and how quick can you display what you want? I was looking for a GPS that i could use in a helicopter - meaning i only have one free hand most of the time. Is the wrist strap that comes with it long enough to wrap around a leg? :)

Does MapCreate include the international database? When i go to europe, i'd like to switch to the european database. <- a feature the GPS III pilot doesn't have.

I'm really glad you pointed this one out Jeff - thanks again.

I got the Airmap 500 for $399 +$10 shipping from www.AirplaneGear.com. Excellent unit and it comes with all the extras. I will say that the only problem I have excountered was with the USB card reader that ships with it, all the computers I have plugged it (XP, 2000 ) into say it is a 'non working device', so I don't know if it will RMA it or just keep using my SanDisk reader/writer in it's place.

I don't think there was anything special about the MM/SD reader shipped with the unit.

Philso

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back