A few questions about lear25/35/36 / falcon 20

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tathepilot

what type headset are drivers using...?? I hear many have the telex 750/850....

I know this topic has been covered before, but I want to know about the noise level in these jets too...

Piston crews use the intercom to communicate, is this the same in the above mentioned jets? Is there an intercom, or is the noise level low enough to allow normal speaking..

I have a bose x, would this be overkill ?

If anyone cares to discuss some specific about these a/c, please feel free....

Last edited:
When I flew the lear 35, I'd use my Flytecomm ANR headset and the ship's intercom. I also flew with some PICs that preferred to go sans headset, so we'd stick in some earplugs and shout. The cockpit noise isn't too terribly bad from the engines standpoint, but the wind noise can get pretty extreme. If you go without the intercom, be prepared to speak up and have to repeat yourself.

The Lear 25 I flew wasn't too loud, we didn't need headsets. Of course, it was a corporate version, and I don't know if they remove any sound proofing for cargo versions like they do for turboprops.

I didn't pursue the position any further because I'm too tall. I was practically in the fetal postion, with my legs wedged up against the sides so we could move the yoke. I had to grab my right knee and put it up to my left shoulder just to check the circuit breakers. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone over 6 feet.

No headsets needed. Just some earplugs and a good set of lungs to shout with. If your plane is stripped out for cargo, it'll be pretty loud. Corporate versions with the insulation still installed are much less noisy.

so i guess what your saying is these jets have the intercom, and it is up to the crew to choose a method of communicating...

well, the ones I flew had intercom installed. This may not be true for all lears. And yes, they were canned out cargo lears so a great deal of the interior insulation was probably stripped. I will also agree with not wanting to fly lears if you're tall. I'm 6'3" and can honestly say that it was NOT a comfortable fit.

No headsets needed. Just some earplugs and a good set of lungs to shout with. If your plane is stripped out for cargo, it'll be pretty loud. Corporate versions with the insulation still installed are much less noisy.
X2 Screw the headset. Even flying a freighter it isn't bad. Much better then wearing a headset though.

We use the Telex 5X5 in our Lears due to the fact that they are typically not equipped with intercoms. I would recommend using an ear plug for your inboard ear, wind noise can get loud during descent, especially in the 35/36. I do know of a few guys who prefer the 750.
Our Falcons all have intercoms so we use conventional headsets in those, i.e.(david clarks). Some ANR headsets are not compatible with our falcon intercoms. I could never really find a reason why but I know Bose and Telex ANR's are not compatible.

We use the Telex 5X5 in our Lears due to the fact that they are typically not equipped with intercoms. I would recommend using an ear plug for your inboard ear, wind noise can get loud during descent, especially in the 35/36. I do know of a few guys who prefer the 750.
Our Falcons all have intercoms so we use conventional headsets in those, i.e.(david clarks). Some ANR headsets are not compatible with our falcon intercoms. I could never really find a reason why but I know Bose and Telex ANR's are not compatible.

hmm. ok i see.. so it looks like i will have to get another headset regardless... i do remember reading something on compatibility issues with the bose and some jets a while back, and i believe it was related to impedance...

PUNISHER, thanks for the info last week!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back