A few questions about Eagle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A-V-8

I live in DFW. I am working at a part 121 carrier that no one here at Flightinfo has heard of. It is called Mesa. Now if you are thinking of applying to there just don’t.

Now that we have that out of the way on to my questions. I am mostly interested in not commuting.

• Getting assigned to DFW. Long time? What planes are there?
  • If hired can I hold out for that plane or do I have to take whatever is being assigned in Ground School that day?
  • Is there some sort of flow through for Eagle Guys to American or is that just for the furloughed American Pilots that are there?

I have done a search for this stuff but can’t find it specifically.

assigned to DFW is easy. SF340, EMJ, and CRJ are in Dallas. easiest way to DFW is to select the SF340 in training (1st year pay is the same).

no you cannot hold out as you do not know what is offered until hour 1 of class.

yes. you will wait a long time and it is due to expire in 2007 (AEPA and some in ALPA's position) or 2008 (companies position). i do not remember if an early section 6 signing at american (in negotiations now) speeds this up or not.

I live in DFW. I am working at a part 121 carrier that no one here at Flightinfo has heard of. It is called Mesa. Now if you are thinking of applying to there just don’t.

Now that we have that out of the way on to my questions. I am mostly interested in not commuting.

• Getting assigned to DFW. Long time? What planes are there?
  • If hired can I hold out for that plane or do I have to take whatever is being assigned in Ground School that day?
  • Is there some sort of flow through for Eagle Guys to American or is that just for the furloughed American Pilots that are there?
I have done a search for this stuff but can’t find it specifically.

1- Depends. ERJ slots have been to ORD and BOS lately. But transfer vacancies are opened to DFW on occasion. As an ERJ pilot, there is a good chance you will be able to get DFW sometime in the future. Saab slots are both DFW and LAX. ATR, well...you'll be in SJU or MIA. CRJ new-hire slots are offered on occasion too, and their are for DFW and ORD.

2-The class will be given the bases and aircraft choices. When your name is called, you must pick. My class was all ERJ DFW and ORD (I picked DFW), but one guy that lived in San Juan went and spoke to somebody in management that same day and got awarded a future ATR SJU slot. Don't know how he pulled that one out, but it worked good for him.

3-The flowthrough is technically and officially still in effect. However, nobody knows if the program will be renewed, dropped or switched to some sort of preferential hiring. Maybe a list merger might happen, who knows? In any case, for the time being an American Eagle pilot is an AMR employee just like an American Airlines pilot. Kind of hard to estimate what that's worth for the future.

I've been at Eagle for almost 3 years, and I do enjoy the flying, the crews, the training and the professionalism here. It is not a bad company to work for. Never had any problem with scheduling or had to show up at the CP's office. There surely are issues just like any other airline, ours mainly being the slow upgrades. But once again, who knows? Things might just turn around in a blink of an eye. Recalls at AA is a move at the right direction.
If you apply, more than likely you will be interviewed. Good luck.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I was awarded EMJ ORD but in a matter of a few months I held DFW. I don't commute anymore so all I can say is that life will get exponentially better by not commuting and by leaving MESA for Eagle you send a message to Orenstein by means of voting with your feet that MESA is not worthy of you skill.

Go for it dude.

so what do they do... just go down the line of new hires and ask what do you want? From Oldest to youngest... or best looking to ugly

So would it be safe to say that most of you think that if I started the process now that upon completion of IOE I would have a good chance of DFW already or within 90 days or so?

And hurry! Mngmt and ALPA just agreed to pay critical open time in December at 175% pay due to our crappy staffing. WE NEED FO'S! Of course they've known this for a long time and are only now deciding to make some moves to make it worth your while.

so what do they do... just go down the line of new hires and ask what do you want? From Oldest to youngest... or best looking to ugly

Yes. Oldest to youngest. They'll write the slots on the board and start crossing out what has been picked. Most junior fella gets what's left. In my case, I was in the middle of the pack and picked the last DFW slot. After that, all was over...everybody else got ORD.

Latest resources

Back