• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Change at Southwest????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a good direction. WN has been hanging onto the "low cost carrier" image for a long time with the zero bag fees and branding of being cheap. Change the business model to increase revenue and add something to get away from the cattle call mentality. There is no more 'Southwest effect' for them. Leave the cheap stuff to Spirit to stimulate ultra low yield traffic.

Being the largest carrier of domestic pax is a huge selling point for a business traveller, if only they could get some other ammenities like business class, lounges, etc they could make the most out of their network.

Which will never happen, just last month the CEO stated his goal to return to true LCC, not upscale business class.

They only compared 100 routes and they also failed to mention this:

If you include the cost of checking one bag, Southwest had the lowest cost of travel 68% of the time since it doesn’t (at least for now) charge baggage fees. That’s significant if you are a bag-checker and don’t have elite status or a credit card that gets bag fees waived on a particular airline. It also shows you just how tight airfare pricing is–a $50 round-trip in bag fees can dramatically sway the results.

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/201...snt-cheapest-most-of-the-time-study-confirms/

They also failed to mention how much higher fares are of equal distance in markets that SWA doesn't service.

Which will never happen, just last month the CEO stated his goal to return to true LCC, not upscale business class.

Havent they been trying to go after business travellers? And the new commercial without any mention of bags fly free, low fares, etc and instead projecting an image similar to the legacy type carriers?

I dont think WN can become a true LCC unless they slash and burn labor costs and destroy any goodwill they have built with the employee groups.

I dont think WN can become a true LCC unless they slash and burn labor costs and destroy any goodwill they have built with the employee groups.

My view, from the inside, is that this will happen, maybe pretty quickly too.

I read these comments and then braced myself for a horrible ad--pleasantly surprised. I liked it. Major changes happening -- Wright gone, International, bigger airplanes and an awesome domestic network. I liked the ad--it is a different Southwest. Who was the guy in the hat carrying a Jeppes suitcase? Check his badge carefully, must be an imposter.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back