Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A captain can get Violated by the FAA for flying with an illegal crew member.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Speedbird34

Do you know where in the FARS or company FOM that it states a captain can be violated for flying with a crewmember who has exceeded his rest requirements or has an expired medical.

The regs (for 121 Operations) where the individual not in compliance and the airline can be violated are 121.383 for Med Cert and 121.471 for crew rest. I know of no provision for violating the captain because a crewmember is not in compliance.

There is an easy CYA here. I ask my FO "Are you legal?" before every trip. That covers rest, revisions medical conditions and everything else.

There is an easy CYA here. I ask my FO "Are you legal?" before every trip. That covers rest, revisions medical conditions and everything else.

"Plausible deniability" comes to mind. The captain can't be held responsible for flying with an FO with a seven day violation unless you can prove he or she knew about it before the flight. If it comes to your attention and you fail to act, thats a different story.

I would think that you'd have to have one seriously bored and anal fed to violate a captain because the guy sitting next to him screwed up. The paperwork and the headaches involved in the process just don't make it worth the trouble.

If I remember right, at TSA the captains were responsible for that as spelled out in the GOM. At least for the revisions and medical side.

If you are on a reduced rest overnight with an F/O who needs more rest than you, I would say you are responsible to make sure he shows later. That means that you all take the same hotel van, show up at the same time but change the F/O's show time on the manifest.

If you are on a reduced rest overnight with an F/O who needs more rest than you, I would say you are responsible to make sure he shows later. That means that you all take the same hotel van, show up at the same time but change the F/O's show time on the manifest.

You can't be serious, right? You might as well shoot yourself in the foot with the proverbial book.
In this scenario the flight takes a delay. Everyone sleeps in. End of story.

Latest resources

Back