• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A/C Medical Question.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the info. Diesel. I'll look into the Mayo training. Like I mentioned earlier, our CEO is interested in this little project and what we can carry onboard the a/c.

Thanks guys.

We subscribe to Med Aire. I just got back from recurrent with them and it is a fantastic service. The kits they provide have a large amount of handy little things. Epipen, AED, drugs(some not OTC), etc. and the training I"ve been very impressed with.

If you're not familiar the general idea is that you've got a doctor available to you 24/7 from anywhere in the world(even in flight) and they'll tell you what you need to do with any situation. And they take legal responsibility for telling you to shoot someone with something or whatever the deal is. their call center is actually located next door to an E.R., and those are the docs they hook you up with.

Check em out.

Last edited:
EpiPen

I have been an EMT for the last 15 years. I am glad to see that corporate operators are equiping themselves for medical emergencies. You need to contact Med Aire or Air Care and subscribe to their services. They provide you with medical direction and can give you the go ahead to use lifesaving drugs and techniques. The other problem to consider is being able to contact them in flight. You either need a flitephone or use a company like Arinc that you can contact on the radio. At my company, we try and use the flitephone first and then use Arinc as a backup. An AED should be standard eqiupment on a corporate aircraft. The most important aspect to making all this work is training. I train our pilots on a quarterly basis. We actually go out into the airplane and run different scenarios. Kudos to your owner for being proactive. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Maddogg

AED and CPR

Hi,

As medical equipment is my business, I think one point ought to be made very clear to you and your passengers:

AEDs do NOT replace CPR.

I am not making any assumptions that Med Aire or others are just training for AEDs and not CPR. I have dound that in many cases, people assume that an AED is all that is needed.

Does anyone have any good contacts with MedAire and AirCare? There is a device that all aircrews ought to train with. I'd like to introduce them to it.

Regards,

Hunter

Both is best. No doubt about that.

CPR skills are not retained well. In fact, I have read research where almost a third of professional hospital staffs do not perform CPR correctly. Chest compressions are the usual area of concern. Not deep enough and not at the correct rate.

Have an AED but don't skimp on CPR training.

Contacts

Hey Hunter

I have contacts at both places. I would be more than happy to give you the hook up. I would be interested in the training device. I am all about training. If you think it will help here, speak up.

Maddogg

Hi,

Sure:

www.cprezy.com

It is an ideal device for an airplane since it enables crews to practice their chest compressions with the same device used in an actual emergency. The mask is pretty cool as well.

The peer-reviewed research is good as well.

Hunter

Benadryl can help in a mild allergic reaction also, but there is liability as erveryone else has stated. Maybe find a F/A who is a paramedic or nurse, and likes to travel?

Neat

Hey Hunter

That is pretty cool. We use the Zoll defib on our aircraft. The neat thing about the Zoll is that the pads are all one piece and it has a place to put the heel of your hand connected to the pads. We fly Hawkers in our department and there is no way we could get a patient on the floor to do CPR. The problem with doing CPR in an aircraft is getting good chest compressions. You must be able to compress the heart between the sternum and the spine to do effective CPR. There is just not enough room in the cabin. Sooooo, you have to improvise. I had 2' X 3' CPR boards made for each aircraft. We have one seat in the aircraft that lays completely flat. The CPR board is placed beneath the patient and on the upper portion of the seat. You now have a solid surface to do effective compressions. The device you mentioned would be a perfect training aid for people to see how to effectively do CPR.

Maddogg

Latest resources

Back