• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A-10 Q?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just because the troops are Dutch does not mean the air support has to be Dutch. The aircraft could have come from any country that has deployed aircraft there. The A-10s could only have been American. The Apache could have been American, Dutch or British.

Anyone have a list of all the AF bases that fly A-10's?

off the top of my head:

ANG units and reserve

1. barnes, MA - all a10 gone replaced by f15
2. bradly - most a10's gone, going to c21/joint cargo
3. willow grove, pa - a10's going away starting 2009
4. Fort smith AR - converted to a10's from f16
5. whiteman - reserve a10
6. new orleans - a10 gone
7. barksdale, LA - a10 reserve and I think still schoolhouse
9. Battle creek, mi - loosing a10's
10. martin state, md - getting more
11. selfrige, mi - converting to a10's from f16
12. boise, id - a10

active

1. moody, GA (xfer from pope or shaw)
2. eglin, fl - test
3. DM arizona
4. nellis - weapons school
5. spangdaham (sp?) europe
6. korea
7. alaska - believe these are gone

note: in the last brac there was alot of shifting and closing of A10 units but the number of A10's in the ANG/Res/Active stayed the same.

Last edited:
this chart is alittle old but you get the idea (page down):

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/a-10-unit.htm

there are about 370(ish) A-10's left in service of the 715 (ish) that were produced.

also the A10 was the first aircraft to go from the production line right to a guard unit. The Bradly CT unit converted in 79ish (as the last F-100 unit) to A10's right off the production line.

I remember reading (in one of the many air force or guard newsletters/magazines that floated around my house as a kid) an article about staffing and some guy interviewed i the article commented that the A-10 stood out as the most "requested continue on assignment" or "the one most pilots did not want to transfer out of once flying of any of the air force's airframes at that time". this would have been around say late 80's or early 90's (pre GW #1) - it was along time ago and I was in high school but I remember it because near the statement in the article they had a pic of an A-10 guy in front of the gun barrel wearing this yellow/black checkered helmet. He had the visor down and face mask on but you could see his name tag and I recognized him as someone who had flown F-4's with my father in the 70's and I had gone to nursery school with his daughter. - anyway that is why i remember the comment about the A10 staffing.

Last edited:
The Freaky Deaky Dutch

ATRCA, I didn't watch the video. But, I did work with the dutch a few times in OEF. They are actually quite proficient at calling in air, better than a lot of USAF ASOS guys. Anyways, one day we are working with them and the lead says, watch this. After the JTAC stops talking, the lead says, " Sorry, I don't speak freaky deaky dutch." The JTAC starts laughing, obviously showing his appreciation of Austin Powers films. It was the only humor I got in 8 hours of flying and 3 refuelings.

ATRCA, I didn't watch the video. But, I did work with the dutch a few times in OEF. They are actually quite proficient at calling in air, better than a lot of USAF ASOS guys. Anyways, one day we are working with them and the lead says, watch this. After the JTAC stops talking, the lead says, " Sorry, I don't speak freaky deaky dutch." The JTAC starts laughing, obviously showing his appreciation of Austin Powers films. It was the only humor I got in 8 hours of flying and 3 refuelings.

There are quite a few videos on Youtube featuring Dutch guys in Afghanistan. For a small country they do seem pretty willing to pull their share.

Latest resources

Back