Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Freight Dog

Do you guys think they were necessary?

Do you think the management jumped the gun by immediately announcing furloughs?

Personally, I think it's a bunch of hogwash. Airlines seem to be flying as full as ever. Just try to catch an offline jumpseat between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii... every flight leaves packed!!! It gets next to impossible to get home.

We only have 8 furloughs now...I think...sounds to me like they called us back before they absolutely had to. I only say that because 15 out of 38 pilots will be on reserve (same equipment and position). That too me seems like overkill. But, maybe we are planning to fly a lot more in Aug. I don't know what the plans are. Just seems like we are slightly overstaffed.

I think it was a convenient excuse to try to cut labor costs. If it was just a knee-jerk reaction, I think there would be more pilots back at work now. and the hiring departments would be firing up again.

Some were saying Gordon jumped the gun at Continental and everyone followed suit as a way of cutting costs..

Opinions?

costs

FlyinBrian said:
I think it was a convenient excuse to try to cut labor costs.

In my opinion, some of the companies took advantage of a national tragedy to make money back that they were losing/lost from fourth quarter of FY 01.

After 9/11, all I heard on CNN was how the Airline Industry was in tremendous danger of falling through the floor covered in red ink. I flew as a pax on several major carriers ONE WEEK after the attacks for several months straight and the planes were packed to the gills. Now how the hell do they explain that?!?!:mad:

It also seems like routes were cut AND flights over booked to make up money. God knows if any companies were audacious enough to consider filing Chapter 11.

It is a disgrace and disservice to our pilots out there was has/is happening. Just my .02 Ok...vent over.:D

That's what I'm getting at. I took a few flights around the mainland, and I saw flights PACKED! So where are these losses and the public refusing to fly?!? What justifies the furloughs??

Fewer Flights....An easy example is Continental...They pulled out of San Angelo and Abilene Tx, just to name a couple. They use to service those cities 4 and 5 times a day. Now, they don't even have ground crews there. I pick those, because I use to live there and I know for sure. I'm assuming they also pulled out of a lot of other small markets. I would also assume that some of the larger markets that previously had large jets are now being serviced by RJ's and probably not as frequently as pre 9/11.

On the flip side, NWA returns its late and early morning flights and lays off 40 more pilots.

I understand where you are coming from...jump seating is getting harder and harder on offline carriers. Loads are definately up. Maybe the number of flights will come back and bring the furloughed pilots back with them.

Latest resources

Back