Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ifly4food

ifly4food.com
I heard on the news yesterday that restrictions have been imposed by the FAA for 9/10 to 9/13. According to the report (ABC News), they include:

All pax must remain seat 30 minutes out of and into all NYC and DC airports.

No overflights of the crash sites below FL180 for a radius of 35 miles.

No general aviation allowed on 9/11 (all private planes grounded... can that really be true?).

I fail to see what makes these restrictions necessary. Does anyone really believe there will be an attack when we most expect it?

What is being seated 30 mins in/out going to accomplish?

I can see the need for TFRs to keep gawkers out, but 35 miles to FL180? How you going to land at DCA, EWR, JFK, and LGA?

Why ground small planes? Aren't the TFRs enough?

If this is the government's way of making people feel safe, it's not working, because obviously thy expect something to happen if they're imposing such onerous restrictions.
I hope the report was incorrect.

Speaking of small planes..

Chicago's Mayor Daley is again pushing the FAA to once again impose flight restrictions in the airspace near and around Chicago. Seems like if he had his way, these restrictions would become permanent.

Such restrictions do nothing to thwart terrorists and only hurt the flight schools, g/a and business travelers to Pwk and Megis, banner towers, and pilot shops in the local and regional area.

Those of you who reside in or near Chicago, please write your senator and representatives to ask them to enhance fences, motion gates, security patrols, updated gate codes and IDs... rather than giving the public flase hope with "airspace restrictions" and hurting the aviation community.

Just my $0.02

I always thought that it was:

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

Apparently in the last 360 days it has morphed into:

Dictate, Mitigate, Legislate.

How very pathetic....

IFF, I hope you have "misheard" or ABC is misreporting (fat chance!).
I haven't heard any this but I don't usually watch/listen to any of the major media outlets. Will have to check with AOPA or with what Lear suggested.
Whenever I get discouraged by the wisdom of our all knowing and all wise politicians I just remind myself, "It's for the Children" and take comfort in that.:eek:

The good news is that, with the exception of New York, Part 91 IFR operations will be permitted at all times. This is absolute supreme idiocy, but God help us, some fool in a Cessna will blast off without checking things and the media will think it is World War III.

I guess al Qaeda can roam the nation freely on the airlines (since they're not being profiled) or by any other means of conveyance. Meanwhile, our families and co-workers, the people who really make America work, are subject to these asinine restrictions. There must not be a single person with an ounce of sense working for the TSA ... of course, I guess that is a given. Logic and reason are required to be checked at the door before you pass inside I-495.

Look sharp, folks ... no matter how STUPID the restrictions are, we'd better follow them, or they'll continue unabated forever.

Bet you wish you'd stood in bed.

I also heard on Fox News--yeah, I'm somewhat embarassed to admit I was watching them--that there is talk of placing AA missiles in major cities. Our IFR flying better be pretty darned precise on the Eleventh.

Center: "BigJet Nine-Twenty-One, I show you two miles north of course." [Over shoulder...] "Batteries released! Fire at will!"

Maybe we can all stick some bags of chaff under our spoilers, practice shooting flares out the DV windows...like Patroni in Airport '79...

ifly4food said:
I heard on the news yesterday that restrictions have been imposed by the FAA for 9/10 to 9/13. According to the report (ABC News), they include:

First of all, do not get your flight restriction/notam info from the news. And for that matter with any news report, verify through additional sources. Journalistic integretiy appears to be in short supply - headlines are what counts. Check the FDC notams and you will see that there are some restrictions for the attack sites. Some GA will be permitted with restrictions.

I want to know if there any flight crews that will be flying the morning of 9/11 that have any ideas planned to honor the fallen. I would think a moment of silence at the appropiate hour probably will not be able to be used universally. Any other ideas that will not compromise safety or raise suspicion of a problem or a threat? Or maybe the best idea is to say a prayer silently and continue doing our business and not let the bastards interupt our lives again.

I'm suspecting our small corporate/charter company may close due to finacial constraints (due to insurance, cost of operation, economy with the company and in general)(boss isn't using the plane and charter gets alot of calls but few takers) so I may join the "furloughed" group soon with a baby boy due in 3 weeks. God bless us all.

To date it seems that the FAA doesn't trust GA at all. All their restriction seem to be below FL180, or only affect Part 91.

I have to tell the FAA one thing, we have all seen what both a Boeing and a Cessna can do to a building which are you more afraid of?

Latest resources

Back