8KCAB questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JimBo480

I'm thinking about buying into a club flying a late model 8KCAB super decathlon. Anyone have strong opinions about this aircraft? How is the performance?

Thanks

The 8KCAB is one of the funnest all round airplanes I've ever flown. I was very impressed the first time I flew it. I could not believe that such a mediocre looking airplane could do so much. It sure ain't no pitts but it also isn't a slacker either. Performance wise you will be mostly limited to Sportsman level acro but it does have the potential for some intermediate. It's a great airplane to learn/teach the finner points of acro. It really makes you work for nice smooth looking maneuvers. Although for a guy whose flown and F16 and a 747 you might be a little spoiled.

The Decathlon and Citabria family are perfect airplanes for learning and weekend warrior aero. I learned and taught in both and I love em. I may be a little biased on the subject cause I grew up around em but they are a lot of fun. They really do make you fly the manuvers. They make a pilot think about the what, why and how of everything he's doing. At the same time they are very forgiving. If you f something up you can literally just let go of the controls and the airplane will fly itself out of almost anything without exceeding limitations. I would jump at any chance to get into one. Have fun. Be safe.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've decided to buy into the club and am excited about getting back into aviation after several years on the sidelines.

I freely admit I was more than a little spoiled with 3000 hours in the F-16 and a couple of years flying for NWA (before 9/11). But the most fun I've had in aviation was flying around Alaska in my C-180 on floats with the kids looking for the ultimate fishing hole. This happened over a dozen years after my initial F-16 upgrade, so those memories had faded with time.

I look forward to more fond memories flying a super decathlon on warm summer evenings with my family.

Thanks again,

Nothing will be as much fun as a float plane but the Decathlon's a great airplane. Just keep an eye out... they shed screws like no other. I swear I found one missing every other walk around.

I own a Decathlon. Its a great airplane. As for the 747 comment, I fly 747's and I have 10x as much fun rolling around in the 8KCAB (pun intended.) One thing to be concerned about when joining a club where many people are flying it is how much stress has been put on the airplane by poor energy management or botched maneuvers. If its a late model I would think it should be fine, just something to think about. There are MANY people out there trying to be Sean Tucker. More then one may think. Anyway, if they wont take you up in it to see how you like it send me a PM. You can come out and fly mine.

Also, make a standing rule not to perform any snap rolls in the Decathlon. There have been several 8KCAB's in my area (New England) that ended up having cracks in the baffles within the fuel tanks.

Graceful aerobatics and sportsman level competition is fine, just don't be trying to practice an intermediate sequence and expect the plane to not show any signs of wear.

I've owned 3 Decathon's and an S2C, I prefer flying the Decathlon for fun and taking friends for rides. The Decathlon has carpet and heat, plus it's relatively quite. And has been posted, watch out for doing anything beyond Sportsman, including snap-rolls. The fuel tanks are the weakness that will start to develope pin-hole leaks if it's flown hard acro. Normal graceful carving maneuvers are what it does best.

Latest resources

Back