Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

4fans

Looking for inputs/opinions.
I am a Major who is now a 'company man' (bonus taker) who is up for assignment and being pushed to go to a staff assignment. Having now commited to 20 years, I would definately like to make O-5 before I retire.
The 89 AW is now open for applications and, as you all know, would be a great flying assignment. If I were lucky enough to be chosen, I would meet my primary LtCol board about 8 months after I show up to the 89th.
My question: Is the 89th a career killer, or is it possible to still get promoted?
The promotion rates are historically high right now, but I am sure that when I voice my desires to the boss he will try and steer me away from it and back to a staff job, promotion opportunities being a key factor. Is this true, or would passing up a staff just take me off the "Sq CC track" (if I was ever on it or desired it to begin with).
I am not totally opposed to staff, but obviously staying in the flying world would be a more enjoyable life, but perhaps not worth it if it means I become a 20 year passed over Major.
Anybody out there with first hand knowledge that could shed some light on this for me?

I'm a newbie to the 89th, so I don't have all the facts, but my thoughts would be that if you have all of the squares filled to make Lt Col, then being in the 89th would not be a problem for getting promoted. Sounds like in your situation, you won't have a staff job done prior to your board which will put you lower in the rankings as that is one of the squares. So, you would then be competing against those others that don't have a staff tour. The 89th would have just as many DPs as any other wing, but not having a staff tour will make getting the DP a little more difficult. So, you would probably be competing with a P against other guys with similar type records. If you think your record stacks up with things in it like being an MWS IP, DG out of SOS, having wing level jobs, etc. then you may be ok. You also need to consider your year group and consider what the promotion rate will be and what kind of percentage in your yr group have staff jobs.
As far as comparing yourself to someone with an identical record with you in the 89th and that person in an MWS sq, I would guess that you would be ranked slightly lower by some people if they consider your potential for career progression. I'm no expert, but from what I have seen, anyone outside of their normal MWS such as being in AETC, seem to get promoted at a slightly lower rate.
If you want to try to ensure promotion, get a good staff job. With all that said, I had a previous boss tell me to take a job that you want to do, because you will perform well in that job if you like it. The 89th from the little I have seen is a good job.

I am in a different service (disclaimer - don't know AF promotion tracks), at 20+ yrs, so here it goes, for what it is worth. Compare retirement pay for an 0-5 vs 0-4 . . . there could be some influence to your choice.

If I was in your shoes, having made the decision to do 20+, I would take the assignment that helps me make 0-5. For more hard choices down the road, see what a 26 yr 0-6 makes when you say so long . . . if you love serving your country (which it appears you do - thanks for serving:), it is not a bad gig.

Good luck in your decision . . . you will not go wrong if you do what benefits you and the family. :D

Go NAVY, Beat Army

My best buddy went from CHS (141) to 89th in 96, and his Wing CC said "boy...you will have fun but are making a big mistake..." He went on to lecture why he should try to go MWS.

Roll the tape...my bro ended up at Andrews for 2.5ish years. Loved the jets but didn't like some of the atmosphere. Went back to CHS in C17 and wham..no promotion to Maj (97 timeframe)

Now...this guy (like me) always looked beyond AF anyway, and his life has been great since then. He's not bitter, has had ball since then, but you need to know the stakes. If that O-5 rank is important, consider your chances carefully.

FYI...I've worked with several GREAT guys from 89th prepping for interviews who also got passed over. Outside looking in, it seems like a tough place to move up. However, maybe someone else from the boards has better and more current insights.

Good luck and thanks for serving whatever you decide.

Be Careful

I spent several years in the 89th, but retired three years ago. My impressions may be dated, but are probably still somewhat true.

I believe there are two ways to ensure promotion. First, you can get to Andrews with all squares filled -- PME in residence, staff job, leadership positions,...all the essential BS. It sounds like you may have a strong flying record, but may not have all the BS. The second way is to, immediately after check out, take a job that makes you essential to the wing or group commander (exec, current ops, ... something visible). In other words, make yourself one of his DPs.

I saw (and am still seeing) some good officers being passed over at Andrews. You'll be competing with people just like you -- dedicated flyers trying to eek out that last little bit to move them to the top of the grey area.

Regarding AlbieF15's comment about his buddy -- The 89th isn't for everyone. When I was thinking about applying, the job was described to me as "the best job in the Air Force for an airlifter". I really enjoyed my time there and the people I flew with. It was interesting and rewarding being involved in world affairs from the day I showed up as a G-3 pilot. I'd guess there were 10-20% that didn't enjoy the pressure, the erratic schedule, or the fact that they're no longer at the "tip of the sword".

Whichever way you go, Good Luck!

Cheers, GupFlyer

Eventually you'll leave the "company." And then networking is the key. Fellow retired SAM pilots could be your connection to a very good after the Air Force job. Just another variable to think about.

Latest resources

Back