• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

777 Captain contract job availability

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The title of the thread is 777 Captain contract job availability, but to give the best picture here, I am starting this thread to see what others on this board know (or have heard from reliable sources), on the present situation of overseas carriers looking for Direct Entry B777 Captain positions, or perhaps B767. I am current on the B777, and have made contact with a couple of the contract agencies, ParcAviation and GapAvaiation, but I have not yet requested to have an interview with anyone.

I still have not decided if I am going to stay on with my company in the U.S., but with clouds getting darker on the horizon, it only makes sense to look at these opportunities.

I have always enjoyed this career, and still have many years left to devote to it, and I particularly enjoy flying overseas. So here's a few questions to start with:

1. Don't mind flying cargo. Would going to a 767 outfit like ANA subsidiary Japan Post Express (AJV) be a practical move? If so, who is the best contact?

2. How many pilots are getting interviews at AJV? DumbPilot wrote a week ago:

we expect continuous contract opportunity here within the ANA group but they are getting quite a bit of applications now with the downturn of the industry here in the US.

Dumb, are you aware of new hires starting training?

3. Korean Airlines commuting contract (based in the U.S.) looks good, but what about being based in Seoul? Would that be possible, and would KAL be more open to offer this, over a U.S. based position? Same question here - How many pilots are getting interviews, and how many new pilots are needed?

4. Staying in Japan while on a commuting contract. I read that the accomodation payment is $550/month with AJV. How are pilots getting by on that amount? Are you getting your schedule ahead of time, and you commute in the day before, stay at an airport hotel, and pay out of pocket? Or are you always on standby, and crews get together and share crash pads?

That's enough for now. Thanks everyone!

3. Korean Airlines commuting contract (based in the U.S.) looks good, but what about being based in Seoul? Would that be possible, and would KAL be more open to offer this, over a U.S. based position? Same question here - How many pilots are getting interviews, and how many new pilots are needed?

KAL generally do not "base" foreign pilots in Seoul. A friend of mine who has been there for over 10 years tried to get a housing allowance out of them for just that purpose. The idea being that he could use the money they spend every month on hotel rooms in Seoul as a housing allowance instead. They weren't even vaguely interested in that proposition.

Typhoonpilot

I just want to make clear that there are no 777 contracts within the ANA group as of yet. AJV announced on their business plans that larger A/C's will come, probably by 2012 but no current contracts for anything larger than the 767 just yet.

2. How many pilots are getting interviews at AJV? DumbPilot wrote a week ago:

we expect continuous contract opportunity here within the ANA group but they are getting quite a bit of applications now with the downturn of the industry here in the US.

Dumb, are you aware of new hires starting training?

Yes, they are actively recruiting and training for both AJV and AJX at the moment. But DECA positions are available only at AJV at this time

4. Staying in Japan while on a commuting contract. I read that the accomodation payment is $550/month with AJV. How are pilots getting by on that amount? Are you getting your schedule ahead of time, and you commute in the day before, stay at an airport hotel, and pay out of pocket? Or are you always on standby, and crews get together and share crash pads?

That's enough for now. Thanks everyone!

Their are two options, hotel and apartments with both single rooms or two bedrooms with a roommate. Both have their pros and cons and most of the AJX guys are at apartments but not so much at AJV because they get DH quite a bit so their flying is not from one airport like us that operate only from NRT. The $550 is not enough to cover your monthly accommodation because at AJX we are currently spending from 11 to 12 nights a month in NRT so that is more than the 120 nights a year that is on the contract. Now one of the advantages of the hotel is that at the end of the year you can be reimbursed for the additional nights pass 120/year, I stay at the EXEL TOKYU in Narita and they charge me Y5,700/ night that comes out to about $55/night (regular price is about $150/night)
Some guys like the apartments, but for me the hotel works just fine because I don't have to clean or deal with bills and I have transportation provided by the hotel. The big disadvantage is the packing and unpacking, although the hotel provides us with a storage room (NCA, AJV, AJX)
They just increased our per diem to $996/ month (from $884) witch brings your total allowance for your stay in Japan during your roster to $1,546. Is that enough? depends on what kind of an individual you are because you can actually eat pretty cheap in Japan, if you are the "slam clank" type of individual and always eats at the discount eateries (MCDees and the likes) sure that will be enough. I am spending a little more than that (about $2000 or so) because I like living well and I hang out on my days off in pursuit of the Japan social agenda, a burger is ok once in a while but a steak with several frosties is more down my alley

Hope that helps

Latest resources

Back