757s on Trans Atlantic Flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

For those at CAL and NWA that are flying/will be flying the 757s over the pond -- do you have to make fuel stops when the winds are too strong or do you just cancel the flight?

From everything I have read it seems that flying these things across the atlantic really pushes their limit (w.r.t range).

I was trying to ride from DTW to ANC a few years back on a 757-200 and got bumped along with about 25 paying px because of the fuel load needed. Just check the mileage and DTW-ANC is shorter than what NWA wants to do with Brussels and Dusseldorf. I really have a hard time figuring out what they are trying to prove.

I was trying to ride from DTW to ANC a few years back on a 757-200 and got bumped along with about 25 paying px because of the fuel load needed. Just check the mileage and DTW-ANC is shorter than what NWA wants to do with Brussels and Dusseldorf. I really have a hard time figuring out what they are trying to prove.

I think NWA could make the shorter legs, like the proposed nonstop BDL to Amsterdam or maybe BOS to AMS with the 757 with winglets, but all the way to DTW from Europe may be tough. Maybe there will be a fuel stop in Gander...?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Or maybe they will dedicate specific aircraft to these sectors and bump the MTOGW to 255K so they can get the full fuel (75K) and still carry a full or near full pax load. Nah, forget it, that would be to logical.

The signs are already posted in the DTW airport for both cities. In my opinion, there is no way they will make it make west-bound. The winglets are good, but not that good. It will be real interesting to see, that's for sure. Could just lead to a bunch of pissed off px. But hey, this is Northwest so they should be used to it by now!

DTW-ANC 2530 naut. miles
BRU-DTW 3355 naut. miles

About 33 percent further for the winglets to make up. I'm not sure they are quite that good.

The signs are already posted in the DTW airport for both cities. In my opinion, there is no way they will make it make west-bound. The winglets are good, but not that good. It will be real interesting to see, that's for sure. Could just lead to a bunch of pissed off px. But hey, this is Northwest so they should be used to it by now!

DTW-ANC 2530 naut. miles
BRU-DTW 3355 naut. miles

About 33 percent further for the winglets to make up. I'm not sure they are quite that good.

The airplane with full fuel is good for about 8+30 and the above flight from BRU to DTW is about 8 and change so if the winds are an overall minus 20 it's not likely to work, regardless of GW increase. There is a mod to the fuel system that wll get you another 3K or maybe even 4K on a real cold day, but that's certainly nothing to count on for a daily operation. Proably making a few stops in Bangor on those windy days. Now winglets, plus the fuel mod might mitigate the bulk of the stops.

Use to make routine stops in TPE while tryng to make HKG in the mighty MD11. Suprising how fast you can turn even a big airplane like that if the ground crew is ready and waiting. Couple of turns in less than 25 minutes.

Good info Spooky. The killer will be alternate fuel for the destination. Factor that in, and you are stopping somewhere. Anyone for BUS-BGR?

I've done JFK-BCN a few times. Usually, we'd do BCN-LIS-JFK so it really wasn't a stretch. Dusseldorf to DTW would be a hike. LGW-STL was a stretch in the winter for the 767-200's even. So that's not much different than BRU-DTW.

Probably a case of management believing the sales brochure from the winglet people...TC

I've done JFK-BCN a few times. Usually, we'd do BCN-LIS-JFK so it really wasn't a stretch. Dusseldorf to DTW would be a hike. LGW-STL was a stretch in the winter for the 767-200's even. So that's not much different than BRU-DTW.

Probably a case of management believing the sales brochure from the winglet people...TC

I think the TWA -200ER's were pretty weak on range, so comparing the 57-200 to anything that TWA had is simply a poor example IMO. The latest and greatest -200's damn near go as far as the 747-400 basic. As the 767-200ER line went on the range and GW increased significantly. TWA was a launch customer on the 767-200ER, thus they got the short end of the stick.

Ask the ATA guys, they have a pretty good experience base on the 757 capabilities around the world.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back