757 stall

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

abev107

Not that anyone here has actually stalled a 757 in real life (I dont think), but was curious if anyone has any knowledge on what the reaction of the a/c would be (maybe someone has done it in a simulator?)

My intention is not to create another conspiracy thread. I am just curious at to how the a/c would perform and if in the heat of the moment the witnesses were unable to accuarately describe what they were seeing.

The following are witness account from Flight93. (The plane that crashed in Shanksville PA on 9-11)

10) An unnamed witness says he hears two loud bangs before watching the plane take a downward turn of nearly 90 degrees. [Cleveland Newschannel 5, 9/11/01]
11) Another unnamed witness sees the plane overhead. It makes a high-pitched, screeching sound. The plane then makes a sharp, 90-degree downward turn and crashes. [Cleveland Newschannel 5, 9/11/01]
12) Tom Fritz, about a quarter-mile from the crash site: He hears a sound that "wasn't quite right" and looks up in the sky. "It dropped all of a sudden, like a stone," going "so fast that you couldn't even make out what color it was." [St. Petersburg Times, 9/12/01]
13) Terry Butler, a few miles north of Lambertsville: "It dropped out of the clouds." The plane rose slightly, trying to gain altitude, then "it just went flip to the right and then straight down." [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 9/12/01]

If in fact the a/c did stall, would it be so sharp and so sudden as to almost dive directly into the ground and create a relatively small debris field? According to a private pilot eyewitness, flight93 was in level flight at approx 2,200' (AGL?)

Again, lets keep this to a/c perfromance if we can.

USAir Flight 427

Didn't USAir flight 427 stall when approaching PIT in 1994?

I think the witnesses said that it looked like the 737 just stopped in mid-air and then crashed. The NTSB report would have alot of stuff on the stall.

I always wondered how much airline pilots practice stall recovery, and whether they just do it in the simulator or on a non-revenue flight.

"I always wondered how much airline pilots practice stall recovery, and whether they just do it in the simulator or on a non-revenue flight."

At every checking event. Only in the simulator.

Re: USAir Flight 427

Delta3 said:
Didn't USAir flight 427 stall when approaching PIT in 1994?

I think the witnesses said that it looked like the 737 just stopped in mid-air and then crashed. The NTSB report would have alot of stuff on the stall.

I always wondered how much airline pilots practice stall recovery, and whether they just do it in the simulator or on a non-revenue flight.

USAir 427 was a victim of a faulty rudder PCU which caused a rudder hardover. Read an accient report on it. It sould be required reading for everyone. You can learn alot from it. NOT because there was any sort of pilot error, but you wil learn alot about crossover AOA.....

Airline pilots practice stalls at every checking event, but they are usually not aerodynamic stalls. Most airlines have the pilots recover at the first sign of a stall, which is the stall warning or stick shaker. Those are supposed to give you a few knots of warning and prevent an aerodynamic stall, since most airliners have nasty stall characteristics. Next time you're in the sim, disable the pusher and take the plane to the aerodynamic stall. You might be surprised how violent it it.

Part 25 aircraft aren't meant to be stalled. That's why they have the stick shaker and stick pusher. As far as I know, there's no requirement for stall behavior, and most planes- especially those with swept wings- will roll off rapidly at the stall.

Actually, all of them are brought into full aerodynamic stall during the flight test after heavy maintenance, as well as during initial flight test. Stall characteristics for all the jets that I'm familiar with are very docile, although it can take a bit of altitude to recover if you're really high (above 30k). I know many of the flight test pilots and flight test engineers who have test flown all of the following aircraft and more, and they state the same:A300, B727, MD-10/11, DC-10, 737, 757, 767, 777, 747.

I thought that plane in PA was shot down and covered up by the government. Remeber, it "crashed" right after Cheney ok'd the Air Force to shoot down Hijacked Civilian Airliners. The whole cell-phone thing with the PAX was part of the conspiracy. You have to make the victims "Heroes."

This is at least what my friends in the CIA have told me.

I've been in the J/S of a 767-300 that's been "stalled". Actually it was stalled to the shaker (WELL into it!), which is before the actual aerodynamic stall, as has already been mentioned. It was in the clean configuration and was pretty violent. I'd imagine a full aerodynamic stall would be a wild ride in a part 25 a/c.

I thought that plane in PA was shot down and covered up by the government. Remeber, it "crashed" right after Cheney ok'd the Air Force to shoot down Hijacked Civilian Airliners. The whole cell-phone thing with the PAX was part of the conspiracy. You have to make the victims "Heroes."

Bill (or is it Bob?) Lear knows it was shot down. He's been on the Art Bell show a couple times and said that. The whole thing does seem a bit shady to me, not that that means anything, of course.

abev107 said:
Not that anyone here has actually stalled a 757 in real life (I dont think), but was curious if anyone has any knowledge on what the reaction of the a/c would be (maybe someone has done it in a simulator?).

Saw a cool Boeing 757 flight test video where they showed them doing a series of full stalls (at altitude of course). The nose did drop quite dramatically at first.

Perhaps you can get a copy somehow. (Amazon?? Boeing store?) Test Captain Suzanna Darcy Henneman was screening it at a conference I attended. Maybe you can try and contact her about the video via the Boeing Company.

Latest resources

Back