747 rotates way down the runway

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
shamrock said:
Thanks for the clarification, but the method I described in my previous post is for windshear, not obstacle clearance.
What's the difference?

I ain't the slickest guy when it comes to performance but I do know that if you don't pull back on the stick when the other guy says "Vr" or "rotate" and you blow a tire or suck in a bird or anything happens that would get the company to check the FDR, you're in a heap o' trouble.

With windshear present, you go rated thrust and maybe add to V2. You shure as he!! don't hold it on the runway longer. At least big planes work that way... :rolleyes: TC

AA717driver said:
I ain't the slickest guy when it comes to performance but I do know that if you don't pull back on the stick when the other guy says "Vr" or "rotate" and you blow a tire or suck in a bird or anything happens that would get the company to check the FDR, you're in a heap o' trouble.

With windshear present, you go rated thrust and maybe add to V2. You shure as he!! don't hold it on the runway longer. At least big planes work that way... :rolleyes: TC

Tell that to the training department at ASA. Allowing the plane to accelerate (not "holding it on") to the higher V1 in windshear conditions is a trained procedure here. It's rarely used, but it is trained.

AA717driver said:

Thank-you, yes it is strictly an obstacle clearance procedure. Windshear is 15 degrees nose up and ride the stick shaker, not lower the nose and go faster (to the ground). "overspeed" is basically a "zoom climb" from the runway.

FN FAL said:
What's the difference?

Sorry, I'm not following what you are asking about, but I was simply replying to redmeat's declaration that the procedure is used for obstacle clearance, NOT windshear. That, along with wondering if any of us fly transport jets and correcting us about the proper name for the procedure came across as a bit condescending to me. Maybe I misunderstood his post.

Sounds to me like we are talking about 2 different procedures here.

Last edited:
shamrock said:
Tell that to the training department at ASA. Allowing the plane to accelerate (not "holding it on") to the higher V1 in windshear conditions is a trained procedure here. It's rarely used, but it is trained.

I have never seen that procedure on anything of any size. Not saying that there is not one out there somewhere, but we are kind of comparing apples to oranges. After all the 74 hauls the full gross weight of 4+ RJ's just in fuel.

Kind of hard to compare an RJ to an 833k pound 747.

Most of the time at freight hauling weights we are using all the runway, no room left over to hold it on for more speed. Even a passenger hauling 74 is pretty light compared to a freighter.

KeroseneSnorter said:
I have never seen that procedure on anything of any size. Not saying that there is not one out there somewhere, but we are kind of comparing apples to oranges. After all the 74 hauls the full gross weight of 4+ RJ's just in fuel.

Kind of hard to compare an RJ to an 833k pound 747.

Most of the time at freight hauling weights we are using all the runway, no room left over to hold it on for more speed. Even a passenger hauling 74 is pretty light compared to a freighter.

Point taken. I really wasn't trying to compare an RJ to a 747, just pointing out that a technique ASA uses for windshear is similar to one that was referred to in an earlier post.

shamrock said:
Point taken. I really wasn't trying to compare an RJ to a 747, just pointing out that a technique ASA uses for windshear is similar to one that was referred to in an earlier post.

I can see where it would be advantagous in gusty conditions. I have never seen the procedure used. About the only thing that I can think of that comes close to it is a modified v1 speed for certian special runways (read short) to keep it legal. Although I cannot ever remember ever actually using that procedure. Current job does not have anything like it. Speeds for flap settings and weight and that is it, no change for any wind considerations, other than adjusting runway required etc.

Where I work, the procedure for windshear is to bug for current weight, but rotate at the speed for the runway/climb limit weight for that runway under those conditions. That is for 737's and MD-80's.

Singlecoil said:
Where I work, the procedure for windshear is to bug for current weight, but rotate at the speed for the runway/climb limit weight for that runway under those conditions. That is for 737's and MD-80's.

Yeah, what he said!

That therz what I've been tryin ta 'splain but my Community Colidge educashun has faled me!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back