Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B747FR8DAWG said:
Who's GPI?
It's something called "global peace initiative". No idea what they are/do. They've put up ads for a crew several times over the last 18 months.

GPI is a charity group. They have orphanages in Africa and India. They also use their 747-SP to take volunteers to places around the world in need of medical help. They sent Dr.'s and nurses to help the tsunami victims. From what I have heard a lot of the crews are former United pilots. They told me they have no problem finding qualified pilots, but current and qualified flight engineers is another story. They are planning a trip right now, but can't find an engineer. I am non-current so I couldn't help (I'm also in ground school so I can't exactly just leave now either). I'm also not sure how they get you to the airplane (it's in India right now). I hope this little bit of info helps.

It must take a lot of money to run a charitable 747 operation. Who bankrolls GPI ?

I am not sure who the major contributors are. They have had some of the maint. and checks donated to them. I can only imagine how many millions it takes to get a D check. It's probably like other charities and depends on it's volunteers to find financing/donations/more volunteers.

bafanguy said:
It must take a lot of money to run a charitable 747 operation. Who bankrolls GPI ?

I have seen a list of the prinipals and as I recall they were mostly Senators and a few Congressman.

Spooky 1 said:
I have seen a list of the prinipals and as I recall they were mostly Senators and a few Congressman.

Spooky,

OK...now you're scaring me.

Sounds like the Orbis DC-10 operation for blind kids that's been going for a few years. Also crewed by UAL or UAL retirees.

Latest resources

Back