• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SMOOTHRIDE

747-400 PC based Sim (CX prep?)

Hi all;

http://aerowinx.com/

Just throwing this out there for all the guys who may be looking for advantages for the Cathay interview/sim. This PC based sim is a little pricey, but may help... Lots of people have recommended the RFP 747 classic add on for msfs2004, but that is semi painful to use (documentation is all pdf files, hundreds of pages--eek!). This program seemed more professional (by far). At any rate, it might be good to throw in the old bag of tricks.;)

Cheers,

SR

Hi all;

Just throwing this out there for all the guys who may be looking for advantages for the Cathay interview/sim. This PC based sim is a little pricey, but may help... Lots of people have recommended the RFP 747 classic add on for msfs2004, but that is semi painful to use (documentation is all pdf files, hundreds of pages--eek!). This program seemed more professional (by far). At any rate, it might be good to throw in the old bag of tricks.;)

Cheers,

SR

SMOOTHRIDE said:
Hi all;

Cheers,

SR

You might want to ask this guy for some pointers too:

http://www.hyway.com.au/747/index.html

Yipes! Need lots of free time to do that, and helps if you are independantly wealthy!! Have you seen those "simulator desks" online? Pricey, better off making your own with plywood.

Alles gut meine freund! Thanks for the link!

--SR

Aerowinx PS744 is not for prime time anymore. It was designed to run on Windows 95, works best on Windows 98 and does not like new hardware. The graphics are rudimentary at best (and that's the instruments, don't need the fancy scenery for training purposes), and there is no support from the designer. Now it is mostly for hobbyist's that are more hackers than pilots.

I got into a discussion once with the designer of the program who is not a pilot and is a raging egotist of his hacking acumen and his profession. After that I have nothing but disdain for the man. The lack of support that I received from him after buying his very expensive program, even when it was being supported at time of purchase was a big disappointment to say the least (severely p*ssed off is more like it). Dealing with the current support forum can be very time consuming. With a modern machine it will probably take you a few weeks to get PS744 running on it.

I still have an old Win 98 machine with PS744 on it and it is still buggy as h*ll and randomly crashes all the time.

Last edited:
Yeah i've used it on a mates machine and I really agree with the above poster. It was an absolute buggy POS.

Wow, that sucks that it's a p.o.s.

Huh, what a bummer, but thanks for posting that it has lots O' problems!

Maybe they should title it "Chock full O bugs" or something...

--SR

PMDG works great on FS 9 with a decent computer. I use it to prepare for line chacks and such, but you almost need a type rating to use it. It may be a little more then needed for the interview simulator.

Temporarily breaking my rule about not bringing up FS round real pilots... No way the PMDG is too hard. I'm just a below-average prop trash student, and I figured it out just fine, and I'll probably never see the cockpit of a transport category jet, let alone hold a type. I deliberately didn't read the manual when I bought it and tried to see how hard it was to "just figure out". I had no problems getting it started and off the ground. I was left thinking "There has to be a problem here because there's no way in hell the real thing is this easy to figure out."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back