Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FTI, $4,995. 6 days. Need I say more?

I highly second that!!

Why the hell do pilots (who are typically the cheapest #$@*!%& anywhere) keep shelling out extra thousands of $$$$ for the SAME type rating because of all the hype!! Get the damn 737 basic type and stop wasting the money for the 300/500 "upgrade" - and do it for the cheapest price!!

FTI is a great program! If you are not a complete moron, you will make it through just fine and the Type will look exactly the same!!

Just finished the 737 type yesterday in Vegas with FTI. 8 day course, $4,995, very accomodating and knowledgable instructors. We actually had our pick of sim time during the day, whatever we wanted and the sim was actually fairly easy to fly for once. Can't beat it for the price and course length.

Just wanted to bump this back up to the top. Any recent SWA guys have an opinion if the 300/500 training makes any differance when you go to training? Also having no heavy jet time is the self study adequate if you put the work in or is the traditional ground school recommended. I like the idea of inexpensive and quick but not at the expense of putting myself behind the 8 ball in the long run.

Thanks

There is no 737-300 or 737-500 type rating. It just says "B-737" on your certificate, and that's all that matters. I did mine in the -200 sim. The only reason you might consider a newer model sim is for a more modern autopilot/flight director, and possibly for an EFIS model. The -200 has a pretty antiquated AP/FD combination, but it just takes a little getting used to. I wanted to run away screaming when I saw all those 'round dials' as they call them. I'd been flying EFIS w/ tape gauges for over six years. It took me about thirty minutes resurrect my old 'scan' -- after that it was a walk in the park.

You know people on this board never seem to stop hitting on those who take crappy paying jobs at regionals but are the same ones that will pay $5000 to get a 737 type in HOPES of getting a job at Southwest. Double standard....I think. It's OK for you but not for anyone else...

I highly recommend Higher Power if you want to get a good foot in the door with SWA.

And that is exactly the spin they put on it so you can shell out an extra $2000 for no real reason! A 737 Type is a 737 Type is a 737 Type...

Latest resources

Back