• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 Type Rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't do it unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain that...

1) SWA is your dream destination.
2) They will still be hiring when you meet their mins.
3) You are guaranteed to be hired by them (they have been hiring 2-3 out of 18 at their interviews.

The reason I say this is that if you ever apply to any major other than SWA, a 73 type with ZERO operational experience just SCREAMS:

1) SWA was my dream job.
2) I'd do anything to work there, including paying thousands $$$$
3) I already interviewed, and got rejected
4) Now I'm applying for plan b,c,d...

So when you interview elsewhere, you will have to answer these questions...

1) Why should we hire you if you weren't good enough for SWA?
2) If we do hire you, how long before you re-apply at SWA?
3) Why should we hire you instead of someone who REALLY wants to work for us, not SWA?

How fast can you tap dance? Probably not fast enough...

Dude...I have to disagree with you. I for a fact know multiple people at UPS, Fedex, and CAL who had 737 types. I know of a guy recently who had a type and got hired at CAL...and SWA. They never once asked him anything about the type or SWA whe he interviewed at CAL...

Take the type unless he is willing to give you the cash for other things...it's all about opportunities in this industry...and if someone was paying for my type I would not hesitate.

Never miss an oportunity to improve yourself. Period! But then again you can go to Vegas for 2 days and improve yourself

I've been told by a UPS CP that if you have a 737 type UPS does count that against you, but that doen't mean they won't hire you.

Once you break the ice and get 73 type, it will open doors b/c it proves you are trainable. If you need a sim support, let me know.

Don't turn it down. Get it and go have fun with the process.

As for hurting your future prospects at airlines other than SWA, I don't think it is an issue. Unless the interviewer has lived in a vacuum, they will know that over the last five years, the only consistant hiring at the major airline level has been at SWA. I too know people who have been hired at Continental, Air Tran, UPS, Atlas and Cathay Pacific with 737 type ratings and no time in the airplane (of course SWA as well).

You may want to do a search on the majors section about where to go, but IMHO you can't go wrong with Higher Power, K&S Aviation, or Flight Training International (where I went). I had a great experience and everyone I know who went to the other places did as well.

thanks for the input everyone...for those that suggested it, the cash option isn't an option (believe me, i had my tix to fiji bought already)...

Last edited:
This has been debated quite heavily for years and it seems that 65% say NO and 35% say YES to the 737 type. My figures of course can be off. Just an estimation of mine.

Perhaps we could have the mods create a poll.

Conventional wisdom would say all good things about acquiring the type and many good reasons have been given, yet due to the SWA position, it has gotten a bad rap.

I can't remember exactly from my CFI days, but for some reason I think you should make sure you have the ATP to go along with the type. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you type on a Commercial certificate, you'd lose it on an ATP certificate. Anyone?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back