737 Type Rating Tax Deductible?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SilentDave

I've been reading tax publications and trying to figure out if that type rating I got back in October is deductible. My brain really hurts now and I still don't have a solid answer. What'd yall do?
Thanks
SilentDave

YES

Silent Dave,

It kinda depends. If you go to page 194 of IRS publication #17, you will find the rules.

Basically, it falls under item #2 in that "the education maintains or improves skills needed in your present work".
Since it is not a "minimum educational requirement of your present Trade or businees", since you don't need it to fly, and
you are not going into a "new trade or business", it qualifies as a Qualified Education that you can deduct as Work-Related Education.

How did I come to this conclusion? Last year, after talking to 2 different IRS agents on the help line, both said I could deduct my ATP training on my 2000 return.

Hope this helps. Of course, if you are uncomfortable, call the IRS help line at 1-800-829-1040 and get their name and employee number.

t1apilot

PS. Dont forget to deduct meals, lodging, and mileage per the same section of pub 17.

Latest resources

Back