737 type question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atldc9

Does anyone know if all the 737 family, ie -200, -300, -700, -800, etc. , are the same type rating? I thought they were, but my buddy says they are two different types, 737, and 737ng. It is a bet worth at least 2 beers, so if anyone can add a reference it would be helpfull.

Thanks.

He owes you 2 beers...

atldc9,

B737's are all the same when it comes to type ratings. A type in a -300 will allow you to fly a -900. Though, systems and flight characteristics are another story entirely.

Last edited:
Does it not depend on the instrumentation package chosen by the airline? I thought it was a seperate type rating if the 777 instrumentation package was used in the 737NG aircraft. If the instrumenatation that is found in the SWA is used (basically displays the six pack of instruments on a CRT) then it it is a common type with the earlier generation of 737s. Anyone know for sure?

I don't think there is any type other that simply 737. That's all mine says.

I think it boils down to having the FAA sign off on an airline's training program. Don't forget-the airlines POI's must sign off on every page of every manual at the airline. The feds are not going to let you fly one leg using round dials and fly the next leg using speed and altitude tapes. Therefore, I believe the airlines choose to seperate different 737s if necessary (USAirways, UAL, Delta, etc.).

By the way, SWA isn't the only airline that displays old fashioned round dials on the 737NGs. Continental does it as well.

zymotic,

You are correct.

I was told during IOE at CAL that once the 'classic' B737s are gone and the NGs are all that remain, the software will be changed from the current 6-pack display to the more typical EFIS display.

We will NOT have to get new type ratings once this change takes place.

How will they accomplish that? Wouldn't you run into swapping between two different displays in different aircraft until all the software was changed? Also, wouldn't the FAA require some retraining?

Mix and Match

We have the 200, 400, 700 and 900. It is the same type. The 200 is still run under SVT, but will change to AQP in the (near) future. The 400, 700 and 900 are AQP.

The 700 and 900 have the "777" glass set up. Speed and Altitude tape - pure magic- and nothing that even begins to look like a round dial. The 400 is a mix of glass and round dial. Our crews will get out of 400 and climb into a 700 or 900, somtimes several times a day. There is nothing on the Captains type rating that says he is only good on the 400 but not the 700. He is trained to be able to go from round dial to glass. If I remember correctly there was a take home "pc disk" to study followed by a one page test and one sim session to be "trained" in the 700.

Now the 200 is a completely different breed of cat. The new jets don't circle to land anymore, they "maneuver to land while VFR" and therefore need 1000 and 3. The 200 can still do just about anything it wants and the crews are still doing lots of fun and exciting stuff in the sim. Because of the different profiles and procedures, the 200 pilots only fly the 200. There are a few upper management guys who are qualified on ALL of the jets, but generally speaking they don't fly the line.

Latest resources

Back