• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 Type, Career ender?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I started looking for civilian employment last fall and SWA was the best thing going at the time. I figured I'd just get my 737 type from HPA (great experience by the way) and wait for the interview. The interview call came a month later and five weeks after that so did the letter suitable for framing. It was a blessing in disguise since I was picked up with FedEx a couple of months later, which fits my lifestyle and family better. FedEx didn't ask me about the type at all. At least four guys in my class had one.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are truthful with interviewers they will see it as a positive trait and see you as a well rounded professional pilot. SWA is an awsome airline, but so is UPS, FedEx, Jet Blue, and others. Don't worry about having the type on your ticket. It is only positive.

I know people recently hired by AirTran and Continental who had 737 types.

I had it and it didn't stop me from getting hired on at UPS. They didn't even ask about it at the interview. I think that they realize that the job market is tight and people are doing everything they can to make themselves competitive at the few remaining "good deal jobs" out there. Go for it if you really want to work for SWA. I don't think it will be a show stopper at any other airline that is hiring today.

Hired at 3 regionals and a minor "major" with a 737 type rating on the certificate. Not asked about it at two regionals. TSA and current job asked......"Sure, SW has my application. That's why I trained in the 737 in particular. The other reason was that I didn't have any experience in large transport category airplanes and I thought this would help me do better in the training process wherever I went". Hired all 4 times. No call from SW though.

I was hired at my former airline (another minor "major?") with a B737 type and it wasn't an issue. I think having it actually helped, since I was interviewing at an airline that only flew 737s.

Hey guys, thanks for all the great input! Planning on doing the type sometime this winter. Glad to hear from some of you with experience in this situation.

FN FAL said:
Don't take it personal, but I hope all you "free money" people get what you deserve.

Yeah, I DIDNT get hired by SWA, but I DID get hired by CAL. The Type WAS great sim prep! L8R

If your tight on money and looking for a B737-200 check out Bond Aviation some of my students have told me they shopped around and it was the best price in the country.

Last edited:
I didn't know Southwest required a 737 type before your class date. Why not interview, get hired, and then get the type. Then you are only spending your money if you need to. Any thoughts?

Godvek said:
I didn't know Southwest required a 737 type before your class date. Why not interview, get hired, and then get the type. Then you are only spending your money if you need to. Any thoughts?

The current line of thinking is that you need the type to be "competitive" for an interview, at least that is the feeling that I get from this board. I don't have any statistics to back that up though.....anyone have any evidence of guys getting interviewed w/o type ratings?

Latest resources

Back