737 Type, Career ender?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
viper548 said:
If you're that concerned about it, tell them you won the type by attending an airinc job fair or something like that.

Viper, I don't think this is the best advice.

For every few stories I've heard about people getting hired at different majors (other than SWA) "with" the type, I've heard 1 or 2 stories about those who didn't get hired, maybe because of it. Bottom line: be prepared to answer the question at an interview. It may or may not come up. But it would be interview suicide to walk into an interview without having a well-thought out, truthfull answer prepared. As far as to get the type, or not get the type? If SWA is among the top 3 airlines you want to work for, which it sounds like it is, get it. Otherwise, that door shall remained closed to you.

Besides, I'm sure the $7000 is somehow tax deductible.

FN FAL said:
Don't take it personal, but I hope all you "free money" people get what you deserve.

What the ......

Why all the hate toward WIA people? We just happened to be lucky enough to get furloughed.

CLAMBAKE

viper548 said:
If you're that concerned about it, tell them you won the type by attending an airinc job fair or something like that.

Could be the worst interview advice I have ever heard. Never lie during the interview. I've never heard of the 737 type hurting anyone. I think the only major out there that people have been talking about this problem is with Fedex. It's not a problem with Fedex. Either way, tell the truth and you'll come out a whole lot better than by making up some BS.

Good grief! Don't lie!

propjob27 said:
I wouldn't say it is anything close to a "career ender", especially if you are halfway decent at explaing yourself out of things.

I got my 737 type in June, and was turned down by SWA. However, after getting the type, I got interview calls from AirTran and Continental. I went to the Continental interview first and was successful, so I didn't get to "test" the AirTran process.

But at CAL, they did ask me "So you have a 737 type raiting?" (I went to the interview with my temp, so it was pretty obvious that I got it recently too). You can explain it away without too much trouble. "Yes sir, I have a 737 type. I was furloughed at the time so the Illinois WIA program paid for most of it and I viewed it simply as a "sim prep" for upcoming interviews, to keep me current, and keep my head in the aviation game, etc"

If you were military only, you can throw that out there too as an explanation. "Coming from a military background, I got a 737 type to familiarize myself with civilian transport category aircraft, and since the 737 is the USA's most popular fleet type, I figured that was the one to get. etc.."

In other words, you can explain pretty much anything away, as long as you can tell a story with a straight face and w/o looking nervous. If you can't do that, you aren't going to get hired anyway.

Oh this is classic. You're giving advice on how to bull$hit the interviewer, rather than just tell the truth. Have you ever heard the saying: "you can't shine a turd"? The best interview "technique" is to be yourself, answer the question straight, and don't give jack-off answers like the one's you're espousing here. My guess is that if an airline heard this kind of baloney, they would check the box next to "this guy is a tool" on the interviewer form.

To continue with your flawed logic...

TheDogsBollocks said:
Wouldn't it be interesting if people stopped buying their type's and SWA only had a pool of non typed applicant's to choose from.

I know this scenario will never play out, but it seems regretfully too many good people are buying their type merely to get the interview and are summarily rejected-a shame, a lot of great guys lately getting the letter instead of the call.

...and wouldn't it be interesting if people stopped going to FBOs to "buy" their private pilot licenses. After a few years there would be no new pilots in the world, and SWA would have to start hiring shoe clerks from Payless Shoes.

Give me a break.

qxdash8 said:
I know that to get an interview at SWA, you really need to have the type these days. So you go out and spend the 7 g's on the type rating and then like the majority of others that have tried it, you dont make it through the DB. So now you want to interview at some other airlines. Is having the trype really going to hurt your chances? Does anyone out there have any experience with trying to get hired at an airline, other than SW, with the 737 type?

As you may have gussed, I'm trying to decide if I want to take the chance. I would really like to work for SWA, and paying for the type is worth it for me (yes, I know, PFT...big risk, etc.). However, if like the other 70-80%, I dont get hired, I would still like to have some other options.

To answer your question bluntly: if you want to fly for SWA, you have to get the type rating. If you don't want to fly for SWA, then don't bother. This ain't rocket science.

If you don't get hired by SWA on the first try, then sure, you're going to go interview with other airlines. Just be honest with them. Tell your own individual story and don't make up some pack of lies to try to put lipstick and rouge on your life story.

At the end of the day, extra training and qualifications can never hurt you. The only thing that will hurt you in an interview is your mouth. If you pop off with some of the stupidity that's been offered in this thread, then you'll reap what you sow.

Don't lie about anything in an airline interview -- don't obfuscate, don't slant the truth, DO NOT IN ANY WAY TRY TO DECEIVE YOUR INTERVIEWER! It almost never works. Just be truthful.

There is no shame in applying to or interviewing with more than one airline -- everyone should understand that. Just explain truthfully that you were interested in working for SWA -- they are one of the very few airlines that have been hiring fairly consistently over the past few years. Any reasonable person in this industry would surely understand that.

I had a type, and was already in the pool at SWA when I interviewed at JetBlue. Not only was it not an issue, it did not even come up in the interview.

So, based on my story -- and those of many other respondents in this thread -- obviously having a 737 type without experience in type does not necessarily hurt your employability with other carriers. In fact, it never would have entered my mind had you not asked the question.

On another note, FN FAL, what exactly do I deserve for using WIA money to get my 737 type?

Originally posted by FN FAL:
I hope all you "free money" people get what you deserve.

pkober said:
What the ......

Why all the hate toward WIA people? We just happened to be lucky enough to get furloughed.

CLAMBAKE

Yeah, WTF?

This is what you say in an interview... It kinda like going to college, you apply and shoot for Harvard (SWA) and hope to be accepted but if you don't get accepted, you're still planning to go to college somewhere.

Howz about this for an explanation?

"I obtained a 737 type rating in the middle 90's. At the time, I wasn't qualified, (no degree, low jet time, etc) to get an interview with any of our Flag carriers, so I got the 737 rating hoping to better my chances to get a job that I could use as a stepping stone for one of the said Flag carriers. In other words, at the time, SWA was my best chance for a job flying anthing other than RJ's, so I did what I could to get qualified for a SWA interview.

That was then this is now, today I'm finally qualified to interview at an airline that was unobtainable when I got the 737 rating. Mr. interviewer, I sit before you today asking you for a position with your carrier, I trust that you understand career progression and timing. My 737 rating is nothing more than the remainder of a ten year old, now obselete, career plan."

Now, if I could only afford to work for Continental first year wages, I might apply;-0

:)

Latest resources

Back