737 type and getting hired

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SAEaviator

I am in the process of applying to different airlines now and Southwest is my number one pick. I am not one to put all of my eggs in one basket so I have applied to other carriers as well. Would having a 737 type with no time in the aircraft hurt me during an interview at say CAL, UPS, or Fed Ex? I'm just curious and looking out for my future. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance and have a good weekend.

I had a 737 type when I interviewed at FDX, and it was obvious from my resume the only reason I had it was to apply at SWA. Didn't hurt me.

Also, one of my best buds just got hired at SWA without a type, FWIW. He didn't have any inside track to SWA, either.

The 737 will not hurt you at Fedex. It used to hurt at UPS--you could at least expect a few "...us or SWA?...." type questions. With the new contract, I think some of that is gone. I don't think they are worried about guys bailing on them like they were 2-4 years ago.

Some of the other companies...however...I'm not sure. Can't prove it, but Airtran doesn't seem crazy about some of the interviewees with types. What I suggest to my clients is that if they are already very competitive and/or have an inside track then they might consider holding off. On the other hand--if they have no other major lines in the water it might get them to the top of the stack.

As far as hiring goes--seems like SWA hires plenty without the type and passes on guys with it--seems to come down to the person not the certificates.

For the airlines that's a big red flag that tells them they're not your first choice. A lot of people are basically just stuck with the rating after SW. You can think of it as an investment for your future and if it doesn't work out it's just money.

Last edited:
Bet no one has thought of this!!

If anyone is truly concerned about a 737 type hurting them elsewhere I'd suggest (assuming SWA is in they're top 3) that they obtain a 737 type in Canada. Since the TR will have been earned outside the USA, it will not show up when your pilot records are checked by an employer and therefore you wouldn't even need to bring it up in an interview. On the other hand if you wish to convert it to your FAA ATP, I believe it is easy to do if you eventually end up getting called by SWA.

Ya betcha I have a type but I bought it out of the country. Oh just in case you did not call I did not want to be dinged at other airlines that do not require PFt wait I mean an investment. I will go down the street and get it converted to the good old US of A.

Had a F.O. he got out of the military had not flown for awhile had to get current. That was his excuse or reason for getting the type. Oh btw never got a call from SW,

You guys ever tried the search function? It doesn't narrow things down too much.

The short answer for me was it wasn't a factor at FedEx. I think I would put a lot of weight on Albie's post as he is in the business of getting folks hired, rather than rely on the couple of posts above mine.

Good luck.

FJ

i know of two people at UPS, and one that got hired at CAL that had the type. I honestly think it's all personality anyways. Beggars can't be choosers and if you were trying to improve your career then that's all they really want to hear. It's all how you answer the question.

I interviewed at Continental with the 737 type, and it never came up. Still had my temporary airman certificate too.

Latest resources

Back