737 lost control?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain4242

FSS gave me a pirep that a 737 lost control in turbulence over Northern New Mexico today (Wednesday, 11/30). He didn't know of the outcome. Anyone know or hear anything?
I guess it must have been pretty bad bumps.

UPDATED/EDITED: Here's the one in question...

TAD UUA /OV CIM 340030/TM 1725/FL380/TP B737/TB SEV MTN WV/RM LOST
CNTRL OF ACFT.

Last edited:
No, I dont think that would have been the PIREP...if an airplane of that size lost control due to turbulence, it would definitely have been issued as a UUA (urgent). LT turbulence with LT MTN WV is experienced almost everyday when dealing with the rocks out west. I did hear Denver tell of a few severes today in the mid 30's over ALS, LAA areas but I think it was occasional and you can bet your a$$ everyone that heard it going through that area vacated those altitudes right away.

Sounds like it was a great day for flying over the Rockies...

ALS UA /OV ALS 090055/TM 1628/FL350/TP DC10/TB MOD MTN WV/RM P/M
40KT. PILOT HAD TO IDLE TO PREVENT OVERSPEED

ALS UA /OV ALS 070040/TM 1649/FL400/TP B737/TB MOD MTN WV/RM P/M
1000FPM P/M 30KT.

APA UUA /OV APA/TM 1610/FLDURD/TP C750/RM LLWS 35R FAP 100 AGL
-15KTS=

ALS UA /OV ALS 340035/TM 1719/FL380/TP A319/TB MOD/RM MOD MTN
WV P/M 30KT P/M1500 FPM.

DEN UUA /OV RAMMS/TM 1844/FL130/TP B190/TB SEV=

BJC UUA /OV BJC/TM 2030/FLDURD/TP P180/RM LLWS -20 KTS 1200 FT AGL
-10 KTS 400 FT AGL FA 29R=

DEN UA /OV DEN 125020/TM 0339/FL090/TP A319/TB UNKN/RM "CRAPPY
RIDE BELOW 13 000"=

Had a REALLY bad ride today out of COS with wave related turbulance for many miles east of the rockies! With the wind as strong as it was does not supries me.

If he lost control, wouldn't that be classified as "extreme"?

I think "Extreme" implies that the turbulence was leathal; so if the passengers and crew didn't die, it couldn't be considered as extreme.

Definition of Severe from AIM

Turbulence that causes large, abrupt changes in altitude and/or attitude. It usually causes large variations in indicated airspeed. Aircraft may be momentarily OUT OF CONTROL (key word there).

Definition of Extreme:

Turbulence in which the aircraft is violently tossed about and is practically impossible to control. It may cause structural damage.

So it was reported correctly, but also no just because turbulence is extreme doesn't mean the aircraft fell out of the sky and everyone died. It could happen but more likley the aircraft spar or some other form of structural damage may have occured. Hopefully if the airplane flew into something like this they would go to idle and let the aerodynamics of the aircraft help them through it i.e. manuvering speed so the aircraft would stall before damage occured assuming that the turbulence doesn't force them past manuvering speed which it very well could. I've found that most pilots have a hard time defining turbulence, don't forget there is chop too. So you have 6 variations of how turbulence can actually be reported. I have a tough time of it myself too. But d@mn I woulda hated to be over the rockies today.

User997 said:
DEN UUA /OV RAMMS/TM 1844/FL130/TP B190/TB SEV=

If a Laker is reporting severe, one had better pay attention.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back