737 headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Question

Does the 737 have a hot mic system so you can talk to the other guy through the boom. Is the 737 so loud you need an ANR headset, and if so can you get them from the company store in trng??????????

No hot mic.

The 737 is louder than other jets (but I can't speak for RJs), but plenty (like me) don't have ANR headsets.

I'm not sure about the answer to your last question... I think it's no.

UFlyMike gets my vote

This is re-posted from another thread.

I have had both the Telex and this new Bose QC2 & Uflymike combo.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LY2mMEi...=018qc2s&wm=cl

www.UFlyMike.com

I can tell ya, ya can't beat the versitility of this Bose QCII rig. In the cockpit, great performance...In the hotel listening to the Ipod...Deadheading in the back, etc. I can fly an entire 4-day on (1) AAA battery. (I use re-chargeables and carry a spare)

At around $300 for the headset and $195 for the boom mike, thats half of a Bose X, or Sennheiser, and IMHO, three times the usefulness. One of our Chief pilots had me try out an Aviation X, Senn, and Telex 850. My input back to him...even if the company bought another one and gave it to me, I'd prefer the Bose/UFly Rig!

As far as i know, the only place you can get the boom mike is from UFlyMike.com. Absolute First Class construction and customer service!

The best place I have found to buy the headset portion is Crutchfield's. $299 and they throw in shipping (mine arrived the next day!) and a free CD player. As long as you have NOT ordered anything from them before, you can use the "Refer a friend" code below for $20 off

To save $20 with the Crutchfield order, you have to place the code below, in both the "Code" box and in the "comments" box. When you first "checkout", you won't see the $20 discount, but when the order is processed, it is taken off. (Or call the 800 #)

DISCLAIMER: No, I don't work for UFlyMike or Crutchfields.

Not trying to "sell some cars" here, just giving my opinion, and maybe save someone some $$ in the process.

Refer a Friend Code: pi3c5-b69px-p6a4a

Cheers & Happy Holidays,
Hooch

Does the 737 have a hot mic system so you can talk to the other guy through the boom. Is the 737 so loud you need an ANR headset, and if so can you get them from the company store in trng??????????

no, you pretty much have to yell at each other over the cockpit noise.

it's loud, but not deafening to the point you NEED an ANR headset, but it reduces fatigue over the course of a long day. Noticeably louder than a CRJ however.

I don't know if the new uniform shop in the schoolhouse sells headsets or not.

I have both the telex 850 and Bose x. The Bose is a heavier but is more comfortable. It is also much quieter. The 850 is plenty of anr in the 737. I found it was just a little fragile for my rough handling. The Bose x has a big advantage over the uflymike...It works even if the batteries die.

Yes, the Bose X is a Grand. BUT, 5 year no questions asked guarantee, comes to 200 a year. They give you FEDEX overnight both ways and pay for it. QCII is good but daily operation, I'm thinking it's not going to last 5 years, the Bose X will. Noise supression is the best that I have found. If the Capt doesn't talk loud enough, he learns to speak up after my fourth old man like "EH?":)

I just bought the Sennheiser HMEC 25-KA. I would definitely recommend it. Seems to be the most popular headset in my company. The ANR makes an enormous difference, with the old telex headset I used to have the volume up to max to even hear ATC. Now I’m not even on a quarter of the volume.

And only half the price of the Bose.

www.marvgolden.com

How Loud is a 737 cockpit? TOO loud!

I carried a db meter around for a couple of months recording levels in the cockpit and cabin of 737, 757, 767, Airbus.

The 737 300/500 average about 84-85db from takeoff roll to idle below 250 kts. The 737/700 is slightly better at 82-83db. The 757/767 are about the same. The Airbus is significantly quieter, less than 80db. The loudest recorded was behind the wing, window seat on a 757 on takeoff roll: 96db

Hearing loss will occur at 85db if exposed to that noise level in excess of one hour. Hearing loss will occur at lower db levels if exposure time is increased. Figure 4-8 hours in a cockpit in a single day - you're going to lose significant hearing over time in any Boeing. CRJs appear to be even louder, and ERJs are the worst according to our customers (UFlyMike).

Wear hearing protection on BOTH ears and do it NOW, even if it's a foam earplug. You'll hear the difference at the end of the day. If you want to save your hearing AND reduce your fatigue and stress level, wear a COMFORTABLE ANR headset and keep the earcups over BOTH ears as much as possible. Again, the difference in how you feel after a day of flying is very noticable.

Here's how our customers have "racked & stacked" the more popular headsets (scale of 1 to 10), for what it's worth:

ANR effectiveness

Bose X: 10
Bose QC2/UFlyMike: 8
Sennheiser 25/45: 7
Telex 750/850: 5

Comfort

Bose QC2/UFlyMike: 10
Sennheiser 25/45: 7
Bose X: 6
Telex 750-850: 5

Ruggedness/Reliability

Bose X: 10