737-800 vs 737-900

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snoopy58

Was looking at a Continental 737 at BWI the other day, and a question came up if it was a -800 or a -900. After enough research to decide that neither tailskids (both have them, as best I can tell) nor winglets (neither comes with them standard) are a giveaway, I decided to turn to a proven source of wisdom.

But he wasn't around, so I figured I'd just post the question here! :)

For you Continental guys, or anybody else who can explain, how do you tell a -900 from an -800 when you see one taxi by? I know the -900 is bigger, but if you don't have one of each side-by-side, that doesn't help much.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Learned this one from a flowback I flew with in November. Look at the the last three numbers of the registration:

- if the third to last number is a 2---- it's a 800
- if the third to last number is a 4-----it's a 900

Basically I've found when you think it's long enough that it could be a 900 you are wrong and its really a 800.
They only have 15 900's as far as I know.

The 767-400ER has swept wing tip extensions and it sits about 1.5 degrees nose down on the ground. It is easy to tell from a 767-300 (unless they have the wing tip extensions removed as per the CDL!)

As far as I can tell, the 737-800 and -900 have no such glaring differences. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Turbo,

You're absolutely correct... I don't have the first clue how to tell the difference between the 767-300 and 767-400 either, so to say that I can tell apart the 737-800 and 737-900 in

> The same way you tell the diffrence between a 767-300 and a 767-400

is precisely accurate. But, given my ignorance, not all that enlightening.

How do YOU tell the difference between them, prey tell?

Thanks,

Snoopy

The 767-400 has swept wing extensions that go out from the nav lights. That is the only way I know how to tell, unless you are inside.

Latest resources

Back