61.57(e) Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tcraft

I'm new to the Part 91 Single-Pilot Jet Game. Most of my experience was Part 121 so I'm still trying to get a good grasp of the differences in regs. Here's my situation:

My last three night landings (all in type) were on 2/6, 3/6, and 3/7. My night landing currency will expire under 61.57(b) on 5/7.

My question is with 61.57(e)(3) which is an exception to 61.57(b). I have a CE525(S) with no SOE restriction and I always operate single-pilot. I meet all the requirements of 61.57(e)(3)i and 61.57(e)(3)ii except for the statement about
"turbine-powered airplane that is type certificated for more than one pilot crewmember."
Does the CJ2 count as this even though I operate it with only one crewmember?

The TCDS (A1W1) states the following for Minimum Crew:
"One pilot (in the left pilot seat) plus additional equipment as specified in the
Kinds of Operations Equipment List (KOEL) contained in the Limitations
Section of the FAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual
OR
One pilot and one copilot"
Since it is certified for one pilot and one copilot does 61.57(e)(3) apply even though I operate it without a copilot?"

Does this exception even apply to me in my situation? Note that I only fly the CJ2 but have about 50 hours within the past 90 days. Just not many night landings.

Thanks for the help!

Did you get signed off at your last training event for 6 night take off and landings or alternate night landing quallifications?

If you had a copilot during training for this, I would think you would qualify. I would bring this up with your 142 vendor.

We get an entry on our training records to meet the alternate night landing qualification:

(D) Within the preceding 12 months prior to the month of the flight, the pilot must have completed a training program that is approved under part 142 of this chapter. The approved training program must have required and the pilot must have performed, at least 6 takeoffs and 6 landings to a full stop as the sole manipulator of the controls in a flight simulator that is representative of a turbine-powered airplane that requires more than one pilot crewmember. The flight simulator's visual system must have been adjusted to represent the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise.

Latest resources

Back