61.57 Currency

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and type if required.

Irony is you are legal to carry pax in a multi, but not a single. Category, class, and, if a type rating is required, type, for 90 day currency.

Aiman category and class or aircraft category and class? If you can land a multi, can't you land a single as well (especially if one quits)?

It's aircraft Cat & Class and type if applicable.

I look at it this way. I can land a CRJ. But I haven't flown a C-172 in about 6 months, and landing one of those would be quite scary.

A multi engine aircraft with one engine inoperative is not a single engine aircraft as far as aircraft certification is concerned. You can't fly a Baron around single engine if you don't have you're multi-engine rating.

If you can land a multi, can't you land a single as well (especially if one quits)?
Classic answer: "It depends." I used to be an an FBO instructor near an Air Force Base of F-4's and B-52's. Some of those guys couldn't find the runway in that little 172, and when they could get it into the neighborhood of the runway, it took many, many attempts to get it landed reasonably slow.

Your parenthisis comment is especially why a single is different: Engine-out forced landings. Engine-out in a single is very different than a multi, so that is why it is a seperate rating and currency.

I had to get single engine current in a C150 in order to give my uncle a flight review last summer. Three of the scariest trips around the pattern I have ever experienced. No TCAS, radar altimeter, second engine, MFD, GPS, FMS, FADEC, auto-pilot, anti-skid, electric trim, flight attendant, captain, or lav! Absolute terror!

Latest resources

Back