• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PaulThomas

Part (a)
(4)
(i)
One cross -country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landing at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of 150 nautical miles; and...

I've gotten two interpretation for this. One is that I could complete this 250 miles straight line requirement, and then during the 50 last do a touch and go at an airport and land at another one. This would have me 300 miles.

The other answer I've gotten is that you have to fly the 250 first miles, then 50, and again 50 (to stay in cross country mode as per trainning). I've read it was written 300 miles for IACO requirements, and that in fact you're expected to fly more :)confused: )

What's your understanding of the rule?
For most people this would never be a problem as you've got to bring the plane back (including me), but the 2nd interpretation has me wondering.

Huh? Pretty straight-forward.

In order to count,

1. the total flight has to be at least 300 NM.

2. At least one landing point has to be 250 NM away from where you started.

3. You have to land at a minimum of three airports.

That's what is says, and that's all that it is. No special leg lengths.

I feel like a fool. After being told so many times that one leg had to be 250 miles, I started to read it that way.

Thank you very much.

Don't. For some reason, the 250/300 throws a lot of people. They're thinking round robin and the 300 NM distance requirement ends up making no sense to them since a round robin commercial cross country would end up being at least 500 NM. So they end up looking at the 250 as a leg distance.

Latest resources

Back