• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

6 seat piston for under 100K? advice pls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The baron is a better solution for me, whereas it might not be attractive to others. For instance, going into and out of an 1900 ft strip with 5 or 6 is not an option for me.

Like I said, I routinely fly from the Northeast to FL. IMO, doing that in a six is not a (routine) option due to no ice protection and limited weather protection. It also lacks the second engine (maybe start this in another thread). The six is a great airplane, it just serves a different set of needs.

As for the 100k limitation, your right, there isn't another airplane that can come close.

Good luck in your search.

2 planes in my opinion.

Cherrokee 6, they don't fly them in Alaska all the time for no reason. GREAT load. no retracts means less MX.

Cessna 210, Good load also and fast...lots of 135 operators use the 210 and for very good reason. I personally would go with a 210...I just think Cessna always did it right when it comes to building a plane that FLIES, on the other hand Piper only had one really good plane in my opinion and that was the J3. I have flown lots of Pipers and Cherokees, I like the better speed than their Cessna counterparts, but god help you when the engine quits, definantly can't beat a cessna when it comes to glide performance.

I would stay well away from a T-Tail lance...I have 300 or so hours in one and I think the tail sucks. It was a fun plane, but stall and slow flight characeristics just aren't up to par.

Good luck!

Sddriver,

I agree with you on the 210 but allot of people don't know that a PA-28-1xx WILL outglide a 172. Check the POH's, I did out of curiosity and many people have lost money to me betting on the Cessna.

I routinely fly from Chicago to Orlando non-stop in my 182rg at 156 kts, I could put 2 kids and 4 adults in it but they would have to be very small kids. I think a P210 with known icing would work just as well as a Baron at half the cost.

Last edited:
interesting thread...

i cant really comment on the Piper family as 99% of my time has been in Beechcraft hardware. i will however say that a competing 135 company here locally flies the -6 and everyone (and i mean everyone) moans and gripes about them...mostly from the aspect of speed (or lack thereof) but that is just the tip of the iceburg. of course, they are comparing themselves to the bonanza line that we run, and frankly i dont think its much of a comparison.

sure, to be able to fly your family from point A to point B is nice, but is speed not the name of the game? for that reason, i hafta go with the Bonanza. we routinely run 600 pounds of freight (granted, thats a stripped out model) and average about 172K across the ground...theres my recomendation right there.

that being said, ive met quite a few Flight Express guys flying the 210, and all i can say is wow. i had no idea that little puppy could move that much freight. im told approx 1,000 pounds and similar speed to the Bonanza.

but...for the ultimate in everything, i agree the Baron rules. its fast, it hold its weight well, and yes, it does have a bit of sex appeal.

Toga Toga Toga

Go with the fixed gear Toga. As a student pilot learning in a plane with the tapered wing (toga) vs. the hershey bar (lance) is much easier. I made a few long x-c trips in the toga with 5 adults, both baggage compartments full and about 65-70 gallons and was completely within c.g. limits. Cruise speed 150-155 kts. As previously mentioned in another post the lance is very sloppy at slow airspeeds. I think the toga would be much more forgiving for a low time pilot. Plus i just like saying, toga toga toga toga toga.

supsup

Have to disagree with some of the cherokee 6 guys.

The Cherokee 6 -260 has a better usefull load I believe than the 300, and you dont have to worry with the fuel injection.

Its been a few years since I was flying the 6-260 but I will check the #'s when I get back into town.

But I do agree, the 6 is one of the better chioces out there for a single to haul with.

As far as the T tail Lance, I would disagree also, them things dont like to get off the groung to easy.

I used to operate a 6 on short grass runway's, I would not even entertain the thought of doing that with a T-tail lance, plus it has retracts, you really dont need them, the 6 proves it.

Latest resources

Back