• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

57% of Midwest shareholders back Airtran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Xrmflyer...... BAsically, the 9 members of the board are all Midex people, if AAI gets 3 on the board then they will be able to go into board meetings and argue the other side, hopefully changing the minds of a few of the existing board members.. It might not do any good at all, since the board will still consist of 6 pro midex board members and 3 pro AAI members... However, Moustache is right.. 3 this year and 3 next year.. Either way, I belive Timmey and Carol are gonna try and pull out all the stops... This deal will eventually go through, it just might not happen until the 2008 meeting... God help us all....

As Octavian noted in their SEC filing, AirTran was able to get 57% of the shares tendered. All these shares without having the address' of the shareholders. Now that Midwest has set a date for their shareholders meeting, they will have to provide AirTran with a shareholders list with their address by law. AirTran will be able to communicate directly with each shareholder in an attempt to get many more shares before the June 8th date and the shareholder meeting in mid June.

Try and name 1 airline merger in history that was ever a "win for all"
Well a win for almost all:)

I was being a bit sarcastic about the the win for all. I just think this makes sense for the long term survivability of both airlines.
Also, lets admit that the fewer Rj's that are out flying around, the better off we all are.

Fewer RJs? AAi folks have been quoted with saying they may use skywest, deploying 70 seaters out in Kansas city.

I haven't heard any AAI comments about using RJ's again (ohter than critcizing MEH for planning on using them for growth). MCI could support more growth if MEH had the planes, AAI could provide these.

So does anyone know how this actually works?
Does AAI just need a majority of shares or a huge majority or what?
If Timmy uses the poison pill and dilutes the market, those shares will still get bought up and could be tendered as well couldn't they?

For the record, I'd say the pilot group at MEH is pretty evenly split with about 40% of the old timers favoring MEH and 60% favoring the merger (based on my conversations, nothing scientific). The MEC is opposed to the merger of course but they'd all lose their positions so that's to be expected.

AAI has said that 50 seat RJ's dont work, 70 seat RJ's are basically a break even airplane. I have heard AAI may be interested in 70 or 90 seat RJ's, but want nothing to do with 50 seaters............As far as stock tendered, remeber, the are tendered, and not owned by AAI.. However, one could expect the owners of the stock (Ocatavia for instance) to vote any way that AAI would want them too.. Hell, AAI could have 100% of the stock and I don't believe the board would have to sell.. AAI would just use the voting power of the stockholders who tendered the stock to replace the board of directors.. Eventually though, with enough share holders pressuring the board, you would expect Midex to give in the the takeover... This is why AAI is nominating 3 members to the Midex board this year (there is 3 open slots this year)... When the3 board members from AAI get nominated, they will then try and convince the 6 other board members to support the takeover.. If they fail to do that, then you can bet AAI will be nominating another 3 board members in 2008... And I truly believe AAI would be completly satisfied hanging around for that long... Lets hope it doesn't get that far...

AAI has said that 50 seat RJ's dont work, 70 seat RJ's are basically a break even airplane. I have heard AAI may be interested in 70 or 90 seat RJ's, but want nothing to do with 50 seaters............As far as stock tendered, remeber, the are tendered, and not owned by AAI.. However, one could expect the owners of the stock (Ocatavia for instance) to vote any way that AAI would want them too.. Hell, AAI could have 100% of the stock and I don't believe the board would have to sell.. AAI would just use the voting power of the stockholders who tendered the stock to replace the board of directors.. Eventually though, with enough share holders pressuring the board, you would expect Midex to give in the the takeover... This is why AAI is nominating 3 members to the Midex board this year (there is 3 open slots this year)... When the3 board members from AAI get nominated, they will then try and convince the 6 other board members to support the takeover.. If they fail to do that, then you can bet AAI will be nominating another 3 board members in 2008... And I truly believe AAI would be completly satisfied hanging around for that long... Lets hope it doesn't get that far...
Actually that sounds like a better time frame for me since I should be able to upgrade by then!

Actually that sounds like a better time frame for me since I should be able to upgrade by then!

Remember...the Captains on the property don't want us FOs talking about upgrade. I'm sure the same 717s Captains that have been sitting reserve/buildup for two years will be happy for me to upgrade (shhh!) so I can take their place and sit reserve. And I'm not going to whine when I sit on the couch for three straight days and they ask me to fly as an FO because Coach lays on the guilt trip that pax are getting stranded.

I need to develop a new mindset. I love being an AirTran first officer. It's what I've always aspired to be in life. Give me a friggin break!

*snicker*

Don't worry Murph... Coach reads this forum, as do several of the HR peeps.

How do I know? I got my butt chewed last week for a post on here I made just as a flippant response to someone giving me grief.

Some people take this forum WAY too seriously...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back