Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jeff775621

Hey guys,
I need some advice, im a 900 hour pilot, the company is sending me to simuflite to get typed in the 550 for a copilot fo. Insurance wants two typed pilots in the ac. Since the company is paying for the training, what kind of salary should a pilot expect? Im guessing somewhere between 22-24,000 a year. Is that to low? Im new to this corporate stuff and would like some much needed advice.

-Jeff

22,000 is far too much. They are doing you a favor by hiring you. You actually owe them money the way I see it. Next time you see your boss hit him off with a 5 spot for helping you out. Or offer to buy him lunch at mickey Ds. Then you two should be even.

Seriously though if you are really being hired to fly such equipment ask for no less than 125k. Should be more, but your low time off sets it, I guess.

Last edited:
I think he means C-550, not G-550.

The first paragraph is spot-on. The second needs to be changed to about 50-65K.

Reality check here guys ... he has 900 hours. Not that it makes him any less of a professional, but at 900 hours and a fresh type rating he might be off base asking for 50K a year.

I am not sure what the rate should be given your expirence to be honest with you, but there are plenty of current citation drivers out there who like to work for 50K a year and not even be in charge.

Take the type rating and move on after you get some expirence if they do not want to pay you.

Thanks for the adivce, i already have about 115 hours in the C-550 so i have some exirence in the aircraft already, the guy whos going to be captian has i think 5 hours or so in the 550 so i feel im already qualified for a decent salary.Thanks for the help.

-Jeff

Man! what a break this kid has. Take it and run with it. There are some guys with three times the time and can't even set foot in a jet. Learn the ropes and find a gig right for you that pays some real greenbacks. Good luck.

I would say you should be asking around 36000 for a 1000 with no experience in jets. Not sure where you are in the country. Pick up a copy of propilot magazine with the salary survey and see what it says. 24000 is a bit too low.

It's hard to swallow but you prob will be hard pressed to get anything higher then the $20's. But don't be discouraged. Most likely things will increase at a faster rate in the years to come, compared to a 6,000hr captain that is coming in asking for top dollar. I went through a similar situation and things got much sweeter the second year after I proved myself. The first year will be a test, so good luck.

Propilot survey says average for CE550 FO is $40K with high and low ranges of 35 and 49. You're probably right to expect to be at the low end with your times and experience though. When you discuss salary just go in with the survey numbers and use lots of phrases like "I really appreciate this opportunity" ... and try to work out what you can.

If they want you to start in the 20s make sure you can set a date to receive a performance review after you get some time in the aircraft.

Congrats on the new job! Have a great weekend.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back